How do I stop my 20 month old from biting?

She is the youngest of three girls. Sisters are amost 5 and 7 1/2. When she doesnt get her way she bites. Ive tried biting her back. Ive put her i time out. Ive told her in a very firm voice "NO MA'AM". SHe is very hard headed. HELP!!

KKsKIDS

Asked by KKsKIDS at 1:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cafe Robin wrote at 1:33 PM on Jan. 31 , 2013

They just keep getting faster and faster....

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Biting them worked for me. I would just bite them harder and harder tell they got the picture.

Answer by louise2 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Biting them back reinforces that that is the way that you get things your way. You can also get called on by CPS if you get caught.
    I gently tap the lips and say no. My voice is a powerful tool and I use it to scold and to comfort as needed. I also placed in time out but I used a play pen with nothing in it and made sure that whaever it was they were biting about was not given to them or shared with them for the day.

Every few minutes I would come back and ask, "Do we bite?" I can be pretty stubbiorn myself so I understand this traight.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Biting to stop a biter. Hmmm. Not the way I went.

I said "OUCH!" in an upset/pained voice and proceeded to empty play pen time.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Bitting back makes them(the child doing the bitting) understand how bitting hurts. IMO. The child must not know how it feels to get bit. So I show them how it feels.

Answer by louise2 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• My mother made me bite and onion every time I bit her. lol. She told me if I wanted to bite- I could bite that.
    Anonymous

• this is not at all the correct way to teach a child that they are doing wrong. she is too young to understand that she is doing something wrong. instead just softly say "no" to her and divert her mind into something else.she will soon forget what she was demanding and get engage in the other thing.
    newmommy121211

Answer by newmommy121211 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 3, 2013