Can I use two different brands of formula if they are the exact same kind with the exact same ingredients?

Like I get 9 cans a month from WIC but it has to be Enfamil. If I buy the extra cans I need but of a cheaper brand (like Wal Mart or something) if it has the exact same ingredients is it okay to use both? Does that make sense??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, off brands have the same ingredients in the same amounts. Just compare labels first to figure out which is closest to what your baby uses now. It will be perfectly safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• If your baby can tolerate it there is no reason why there should be a problem. I had to try three different formulas with my daughter before we found one she can take, and instead of tossing out a half used can, I added a little of the new formula to the existing can to "wean" her onto the new formula. We never had any problems (though of course I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice LOL). Good luck!
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 3:53 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• You can do it, but beware of stomach upset. While the main ingredients may be the same, the fillers are probably different and depending on the sensitivity of your baby's stomach there may or may not be some trouble. It's usually recommended to use only one brand at a time...but some baby's don't have a problem at all with a sudden switch.

Keep in mind, if there will be some sort of reaction it takes about a week for the old formula to get out of the system and a week to see if there's a reaction to the new formula. Even though it's the same "type" it's a different brand and therefore a different formula.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:41 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• How old is you LO?
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 8:08 AM on Feb. 14, 2009