Do you have a 529 college plan for your child?

I am thinking about setting up a 529 plan but have been told it is a bad idea. It sure seems like a reasonably good idea to me.... Which plan is the best one out there? I don't have much money at all - could only put in maybe 50 bucks a month... is that worth it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2013 in Money & Work

• Anything you can save is better than nothing. Try to do $100 a month if you can though. College is ridiculously expensive. My son is going next year. Even with scholarships we will still pay $30k a year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:07 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Yes and I can't recall which plan but it's out of virginia and I think it's college america. My Smith Barney guy used it for his kids and so I figured it was good for mine. I made $500 last year alone and had only been invested about four months so, not bad. My other financially savvy friends are also doing a 529. Tax free is a good thing in my book.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• no we dont
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2013