Would you be upset if your teenage daughter was slapped in the face by a male classmate?

A friend of mine has a 14 yr old son and apparently he confided some very personal information to a female classmate that he thought was a friend. She turned around and told a hand full of other students this information and my friends son has been ridiculed and harassed at school about it. So today he confronted her in the lunch room and they got into an argument and according to him she was laughing at him and calling him something that the kids have all now come to call him though he won't tell us what it is but he says he is extremely embarrassed by this. He told her to shut up and stop telling everyone what he had confided in her and to stop calling him this embarrassing name and when she wouldn't stop, he slapped her in the face. She wasn't hurt, it was just a lite slap but my friends son was suspended from school for a week and the girl got nothing for her part in this.
My friend explained to his son that what he did was wrong and that you never ever hit a girl but he chose not to punish him for it since he has already been punished at school and was humiliated by the girl.
I can see his point in not wanting to punish his son, I wonder what the girls parents think of their daughters behavior though? I am sure she has probably told them she did nothing to provoke it. If you were her mom would you be angry with her for her part or more angry at the boy for slapping her?

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 7:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I would first and foremost be upset that someone who is inevitably bigger and stronger than my DD had laid hands on her. The fact that a high school boy had made this leap from anger to slapping an female would cause concern for me. How is he going to handle these issues as an adult? Is this just the beginning of an abusive behavior pattern for him? Ect...
    Knowing the whole story, I would be extremely angry with DD for lying and betraying someone who trusted her as well as her part in the verbal abuse and bullying. If the school did not insist on punishing my child- I would make a point to do so myself. I better never find out my child has ever been so cruel.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• In this case, no I wouldn't be upset. Because the girl had it coming to her. I don't condone men hitting women, but sometimes even women deserve a slap in the face just as much as a man would. So...yeah I understand his reaction.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 7:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I would be upset if anyone slapped my daughter. HOWEVER, if the child above was my daughter, I would be more upset with her behavior. I don't condone hitting women, but the girl was just as much in the wrong as him, if not more. Being humiliated and having your trust betrayed by someone you considered a friend can hurt more than a slap to the face.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Well if I knew the truth. I would be pissed at my DD and punish her. And at the boy too. Their is no reason for a male to hit a female.

Answer by louise2 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I would be upset if anyone touched my child, boy or girl, violence is not the solution and it's never ok, both were in the wrong no doubt. Children can be terribly mean, I hate bullying but also hate that he put his hands on her, I don't believe her behavior should be ignored, why did they not address the harassment also, it lets Children like that think they can get away with bullying. My daughter is 5 and just started school, I always tell her of course to be kind to everyone, to Cleary tell someone "stop I don't like that" if she's uncomfortable with something, and to keep her hands to herself and others should to, so needless to say if I was a mother to either child in question I would be very upset with their behavior. After my daughter's first day at school a few days ago she said " everyone was asking me my name and did I want to be their best friend" and I thought to myself why can't it just stay that way!!!!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• While I understand his reasons for being upset, no one truly deserves to be slapped. I know we've all vented how we'd like to slap the morons that we cross paths with, but we are supposed to be more evolved than that. As to the girl, she is just a rotten little bully & deserves to be punished for purposely causing pain to a fellow student. Pain is pain, whether it's physical or emotional. They are both at fault & both deserve punishment.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Yes I would be upset. I would press assault charges against the boy. Despite the provocation hitting much less assault is never ok.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I don't consider a slap in the face as an actual assault. Now if he had punched her, broken skin, caused bleeding or bruising then yes I could see that. I think pressing charges for something that small is going a bit over board, especially seeing as they are just 14 years old. My friend is upset with his son for his actions but he is also upset with the girl for her part in it too but he let it slide. I think he should have went to the school and complained about the girl not being punished especially since we have learned what it was that she was telling the other students and making a joke over. I won't divulge that information here because of the nature of it but it was very sick what she was saying about him. If her parents had tried to press charges against my friends son I think he probably would have chosen to press charges against the girl for harassment as well. You can't very well blame one and not the other.
    AnonNdrag

Comment by AnonNdrag (original poster) at 7:56 AM on Feb. 5, 2013