Can a dog break their tail?

When I let our girl out this morning she came in & I noticed her tail was a little droopy. She can still wag it but its not anywhere near her happy speed ( she has peacock tail lol). Just a bit weird. I can touch it & it seems tender but she's not nippy. Weird.

funlovinlady

Asked by funlovinlady at 8:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2013 in Pets

• Yes they can break their tail. If you suspect this has happened you will want to go to avet. 90% of the time they are fine and maybe jusy a lilttle taping will help it back to normal. Sometimes there is nerve and tissue damage and eventuall the dog has to have the tail amputated. As I said this is the rarer of the two. GL
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:56 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• There's bone in there, so definitely can break it. Although I think a broken tail is a lot like a broken toe...not much they can do about it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Yes.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Feel it. Any swelling? Bumps? Does she seem to be in pain?
    My cat broke the tip of his tail. He tried scurrying in the door as it was closing. He turned out ok,you can just feel a bump there

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:03 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• First time I took my dog to the vet he said "Oh, when did she break her tail?". Didn't know it was broken. He didn't do anything for it, it's never bothered her. Still as waggy as ever.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:26 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Yes they can.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Yeah she's still wagging , no,lumps, no bumps, she just sits a little more gingerly
    funlovinlady

Comment by funlovinlady (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• maybe her hiney is frozen,lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2013