Healthy road trip food?

We have a horrible habit of eating only CRAP when we're out on the road. I'll keep snacks around like fruit or yogurt.. any other suggestions though? Or places we can go to eat that aren't too terrible for us but affordable too?

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 11:07 AM on Feb. 1, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I always pack snack foods. I cut carrot and celery sticks. Apples, oranges, string cheese, beef jerkey, packages of nuts, crackers, bell pepper slices, radishes, cucumbers, pumpkin seeds.

They make these cute snack size zip lock bags that are perfect for individual portions.

We drove to Disney last year. I brought bread, cheese and lunch meat. We stopped at the rest areas and I'd make everyone a quick sandwich. It is much more affordable than eating every meal out, especially if you have a bunch of kids.

As for cheap drive thru eats, Taco Bell has that Fresco menu that is fantastic and pretty healthy. It cuts the cheese out and adds pico.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:26 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• If we know we're going to be traveling during meal time as long as the weather looks decent I pack a picnic - sandwiches, pasta salad, fruit, bottled water, etc. We stop at a rest area and use the picnic shelters.
    But most restaurants these days have healthy options. Look at salads, grilled chicken sandwiches (ask about wheat buns and any sauces on the side), even a small burger isn't bad if you eat healthy the rest of the day.

Answer by missanc at 11:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Celery and Jif to go packs. Make salads in individual containers . Pre slice oranges and put in ziplock bags
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Pinned Image 15 healthy and portable snacks 

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:55 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• We never eat as well on the road. But the last 2 trips we've taken were turning points. I refused to buy chips or other crap for the kids. We had a lot of popcorn and apples. We were always eating and running out of apples. It was awesome. I also kept dried fruit for a sweet fix. And allowed lots of ice cream for treats as well.

As far as restaurants, the chains are all pretty awful from a health standpoint. Just steer them towards healthier choices. It's hard for us too, and to compound it, we are vegetarian, so we are limited with protein sources on the road.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I always take grapes, baby carrots, nuts, trail mix, cheese slices, water, juice, sometimes I make special sandwiches and fresh salads as well.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:41 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I agree picnic type foods. Just as you can pull through or stop at fast food you can quickly stop at a grocery store. This way it is fresh. You can get smaller jars, restock on plastic utensils if necessary, and get precut fresher items. I like stopping at deli counters for fresh chicken salad, deli meats, and cheeses. Pick up some healthy juices or get a cup of coffee for you. Then eat your spread on the road or in the parking lot. Healthier meals and snacks and less guilt for the fast fooding it. I do this because I hate packing and storing. Less room for clothes and other items. And many grocery stores now offer a cafe area. Use the store bathrooms and rember on the way back which stores to return to and what exists to avoid.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• My Husband lives on the road a month at a time, so eating healthy ( as he can) is a priority. He takes fresh fruit, like bananas, and little cuties, so he doesn't have to worry about washing them, just peel and eat. He also takes whole grain chips, 100% wheat bread, healthy choice lunch meat, and cheddar cheese. He uses light mayo, and will also have canned tuna in olive oil for something different. I realize these aren't really snack foods, but for a meal or two for your family, it would save you from stopping and eating fast food, which can be costly, and terribly unhealthy when you're traveling.
    Oh and he takes vitamin water, and V8 fusion drinks.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Our last trip, we packed bags of healthy cereal, sandwich fixings (wraps can be made ahead of time, and even sliced into pinwheels if that's easier for your family to eat), apples, string cheese, we did take some Baked Lays, we popped a ton of popcorn ahead of time (air popper), clementines, water bottles, juice boxes (juicy juice) but used those more as a treat, baby carrots/broccoli/cauliflower with the single serve ranch dip cups, I baked some muffins & cookies (our favorite healthier recipes). Oh, we took some bagels & cream cheese & the simply go-gurts too but those didn't go over so well even though they love them at home. Pears & bananas. I know we took more but I'm drawing a blank on the rest!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 2:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Pack a cooler full of fresh fruits and veggies. It's not that hard if you know you're going to be traveling and when and how long the trip will take.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2013