My son has an infected tooth, so hes on antibiotics.. but to my surprise they are in pill form.. hes only 6!

I didnt even think to ask since any meds he gets is in liquid form. I mean we will try the pills (they are capsules so cant be crushed), but if he cant swallow them we'll ask for liquid. Any of your younger kids able to swallow pills? I just remember I was like 10 and I still couldnt do it. Lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Call the pharmacy & ask if you can exchange the pills for a liquid form. They'll ask you to return the pills for the exchange. They can call the Dr. to OK it too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• How big are they? My kids can all swallow pills, but not the big horsechokers I'm used to (when I have antibiotics the pills are huge - the only non-liquid antibiotics my kids have ever had were chewables). I'd definitely call to get it switched if they're big.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 1:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• My kid could always feel the pill if it was in something smooshie like applesauce or yogurt. Give him something crunchy like chips celery, have him chew it up but not swallow. Hand him a glass of water, tell him to open his mouth and pop in the pill, tell him to swallow and take a big drink of water.

It is the only way I could get my oldest to take a pill.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• My 8 yo never would take liquids after around 4 . He gags
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• try putting it in a bite of yougrt or pudding if they wont exchange
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Yes, my youngest was 4 when he first swallowed a pill. I didn't expect him to be able to, but he had no trouble. Have you tried to see if he can?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Just give it to him in a big 'ol spoonful of applesauce. Not a big deal.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• If they're capsules you pull them apart and put the contents in juice applesauce, whatever.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Call the doc and have them write you another script for a more appropriate medication for your child. You usually can't return meds once you leave the store with them, but they may take them back. The pharmacist should have caught that one and called the doc or you to double check - but sometimes they are busy and only check the important details like making sure you are getting the meds the doc wrote for.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• DS has been swallowing pills since he was 5 he can't stand liquid or chewable medicine.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2013