How can I get the vaccine exemption form and get started? For Chicago, IL

I have 2 sons and would love them to not vaccinate, but I really have no idea how to do it. Please help me to tell me what to do Where do I need to send exemption form to DHS? Btw. We are living in Chicago,IL. Thanks for your help in advance

Happymamy

Asked by Happymamy at 12:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

• recalls
    notasha.taggart

Answer by notasha.taggart at 11:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Happymamy, I haven't heard of anything you *do* if you want to be exempt-- just what you don't do (vaccinate).
    When you fill out the forms to enroll in school and fill out the immunization card you can just check the Religious Exemption box.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Thank u for all answers,
    Happymamy

Comment by Happymamy (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I would get them vaccinated you dont want them to get some random disease I mean honestly think about it.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:24 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Skinny, of course I know that everyone isn't cut out to take every medicine out there. For example, I'm allergic to penicillin and Tylenol - break out into a rash and may suffer anaphylactic shock. So I stay away from these but I do happily take other antibiotics or OTC meds when it's a good idea. I do give all these to my son since he is not allergic anything. If he ever develops a bad reaction to something, we'll deal with it then. And you will never catch me muttering about how these are dangerous poisons because they are just full of "toxins and preservatives" or made from aborted baby fetuses or that they trigger autism (my personal favorite) any other craziness. The CDC and most docs do have lists of people who should not take specific vaccines, and I think individual cases should be handled thoughtfully and cautiously. I FULLY support legitimate (not paranoid) medical exemptions for specific things including vaccines.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 4:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• My oldest had a reaction to the DPT (when that's what it was called) and they ended up giving her a modified vaccine without the pertussis portion. When she got older, we did vaccinate for pertussis with no issues.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Say a child had a reaction, would you guys think it's wrong if parents no longer wanted to vaccinate their children? Are there legitimate medical reason for children to not get vaccinated?
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 11:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• but Prissy, the point that was made was that if someone who WAS vaccinated traveled overseas

NO the point was if someone UNVACCINATED contracted the disease overseas and came here it could cause a massive outbreak among those that are NOT vaccinated. Part of the reason there hasn't been a massive outbreak is that people get vaccinated
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• "brought back a bug it would cause an outbreak here in the states. This does not happen. And if someone travels overseas who isn't vaccinated and gets sick and brings it back... what are you afraid of if you ARE vaccinated? "

I'm scared for the children out there whose parents did NOT vaccinate them and who will, quite possibly, contract and die from a disease they could have been protected against.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Because you're confusing the definition of eradicated as it applies to disease. They will NEVER be completely gone. Ever. But we can eliminate them from our list of common diseases in OUR communities.

Polio is close to being considered eradicated but certainly not on a global level
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2013