How can I get the vaccine exemption form and get started? For Chicago, IL

I have 2 sons and would love them to not vaccinate, but I really have no idea how to do it. Please help me to tell me what to do Where do I need to send exemption form to DHS? Btw. We are living in Chicago,IL. Thanks for your help in advance

Happymamy

Asked by Happymamy at 12:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

• call around and find out

*I will never understand why people would not want to vaccinate their kids
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• "neuro-toxic waste, abort human fetus cells, and preservatives!"

Lol, do you ever do your OWN research or do you just parrot crap you've read on anti vax sites?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Our bodies were made to fight disease and heal itself. At what point did we decide we were defective and start to rely on medicine to make us "whole"?

I'm all for you being a contender of the Darwin awards if you choose, but please don't subject your children to your idiocy. Does the plague ring a bell, small pox, diptheria. Yeah our bodies sure handled those easily....or wait they didn't until a vaccine for each was created and now they are nearly nonexistant.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Because you're confusing the definition of eradicated as it applies to disease. They will NEVER be completely gone. Ever. But we can eliminate them from our list of common diseases in OUR communities.

Polio is close to being considered eradicated but certainly not on a global level
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• but Prissy, the point that was made was that if someone who WAS vaccinated traveled overseas

NO the point was if someone UNVACCINATED contracted the disease overseas and came here it could cause a massive outbreak among those that are NOT vaccinated. Part of the reason there hasn't been a massive outbreak is that people get vaccinated
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• So you want your children to catch a deadly disease and perhaps pass that on to others because you don't believe in vaccines? That's ludicrous. You need to reconsider because id be pissed if my child caught a disease from your unvaccinated child. I'd sue your butt off.
    Anonymous

• negligent transmission of an infectious disease

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/a-pox-on-your-bank-account-failure-to-vaccinate-and-its-legal-consequences/
    Anonymous

• I need to know what exemption you plan on choosing before I can point you in the right direction. You have to choose either a medical exemption which will require documentation from your physician and will be sent to a different place than if you're choosing a religious exemption. A religious exemption has a LOT of paperwork and takes longer to grant.

You cannot get an exemption because you just don't like vaccines. Puts too many other children at risk
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Well we don't with some of them such as small pox (unless traveling overseas). Diptheria is still around and still has a high death rate if contracted. Luckily it is one of the first vaccines we are ever given in the DTaP or DTP. So the reason we still get the vaccines is just because the disease is all but eradicated in the U.S. the same cannot be said for developing countries. That with the accessibility of worldwide travel means that one person being exposed to it in a foreign country can travel back to the US and expose others to the same disease and cause an epidemic especially among those who refuse to vaccinate.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Illinois doesn't allow personal preference exemptions? That's one of the few good things I've heard about Chicago schools!

And I agree on being happy to let you hurt yourself, but I'm not only worried for your kids but also for my baby (and other babies) who are too young to get their shots and people with compromised immune systems, etc.

BTW, I wonder if people who choose not to vax also allow anyone in their family to take ANY medicines? Ever? If your kid catches whooping cough or chicken pox or even a bad ear infection, you won't give him some Tylenol or take him to the doc to get some antivirals or antibiotics right? I mean, you know that most meds are made using similar processes, ingredients and testing (ie: toxins, preservatives, greedy companies, crooked docs and gov bureaucrats, etc.) Our bodies are MADE to handle these illnesses! Why take something "that lead to a whole host of other life-long problems"? Right?
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 5:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2013