how can i get my 1 year old daughter to sleep all night?

my daughter has bad weeks and good weeks as far as sleeping goes, there will be a week when she will go to bed at 8pm and then not wake up untill 9-10 the next morning, bad weeks on the other hand are more frequent i will put her to bed at 8pm and she will be up at midnight wide awake and ready to play.
i am 21 years old and my family lives far away and am finding it hard to cope. my social life has been none existant since the day my daughter was born as the father left us.
although i love my daughter with all my heart and nothing will ever change that.
i really need help as i am close to breaking point and feel like i am losing my mind.

wornout2203

Asked by wornout2203 at 4:03 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What has your social life got to do with her sleeping through the night?
    You're a mom now. You made this choice. Forget about partying. If you want to see friends, invite them over to your house.

As for sleeping through the night, you cannot force a baby to sleep through the night. Night waking is normal, babies do not know how to put themselves to sleep, but they DO learn it in due time. It took my DD1 until about 18 months before she began doing this.

Do you co-sleep? You might want to consider doing so, this will help her get through the nights without waking up completely.

Why is she waking in the first place? Hunger? The less awake you allow her to become, the less likely she will be to get up to play.. How is your lighting when she wakes? How long do you leave her before you tend to her? Are YOU still awake at this hour? All these things factor in.
    You may also want to consider putting her to bed later.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:14 AM on Feb. 14, 2009