Really sick of this term

Is anybody else REALLY bothered by the term unnecesarean? Unnecessary cesarean
It just seems like some people I run into seem to think that if they can have the next baby vaginally that the surgery must not have been needed. While I will agree that it seems that doctors talk about CPD too frequently,fetal presentation is everything and even small changes can make a big difference.
Now ok I'm in a different area of the US: we move around in labor(sometimes even if we don't want to),time limits are more safety limits(they tend to be 24-48 hours),even with an epidural women push in a few different positions, I know more people who've had a 20 + hour labor then a cesarean. We still have about a 21% primary cesarean rate and we have a high VBAC right. People still throw this term around where I am and bring up the national rate even though your average local hospital has a c-section rate of about 17%.

Anybody else sick of this term? It just seems like people decide that their doctor was wrong because of what they read on some internet site or in some book. Done venting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I have never even heard that term.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I've never heard it either.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I don't know where you are in the U.S., but I've never even heard the term.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Never heard of it.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 5:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Nope, never heard it before.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• The only place I've heard it is here.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I've never heard the word, but I do get tired of hearing about how doctors perform too many C-sectons, and many of them are unnecessary. Many of them probably are, but if a doctor elects not to do one and then something goes wrong and the parents decide he should have, his ass is grass. He's kind of damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Some people I've told that I had a C-section have automatically jumped to the assumption that it might have been unnecessary, even if my doctor said the baby was stuck, and that I could have pushed till the end of time and never gotten her out.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Never heard of it.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• It's a contraction of unnecessary cesarean and it's common enough it's quite a popular blog. I'm in Utah we have babies early and frequently,it makes a difference.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Also most insurance companies pay doctors the same amount of money no matter what kind of birth you have. The extra cost is materials and extra people. Also while in most countries private insurance makes it more likely for you to have a cesarean in the US most have medicaid.

It's not money already.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2013