So now anyone with ovaries has to do twice the paperwork lest they inconvenience their Catholic boss?

Obama offers faith groups new birth control rule

From the sounds of it, women will now be left to deal directly with insurance companies in order to make sure they get the coverage they need - handled entirely separately from their employer's provided insurance policy.  What kind of paperwork and loophole nightmare do these churches want to create?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• This is the way they ("they" being whomever wishes to shit on women/the poor/the infirm, etc) always do it now. "We're happy to help you. Please fill out this ream of paperwork that must be notarized, we need something from your doctor, we'll need to interview all prior employers and neighbors, this could take up to 12 weeks" blah blah blah.

So, not really infringing on your ability to get what you need, sort of......just making it damned near impossible to do.

Pisses me off
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• It's not that it's an inconvenience for him, it's only completely against his beliefs.
    *****************************************************************
    is being obese due to overeating considered wrong by this same person? Is this not against his beliefs? yet he freely pays for health insurance for this person who probably has high blood pressure, diabetes, joint issues, heart issues, etc.
    What is the difference?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• What I'm wondering is how my ovarian cysts that leave me doubled over in pain for several days a month are against anyone's beliefs? If I worked for a religious based organization I would have the choice of obtaining insurance coverage elsewhere or opting for a more expensive way (but covered by my employer's insurance) of getting rid of my pain. The cheapest and least invasive way to treat it is to have me go on the pill (I haven't yet, but it's tempting). So I guess my choices would be seek insurance elsewhere, choose a more invasive and more expensive treatment, or jump through a million hoops into a Olympic sized pool of paperwork in order to get the treatment I need (the pill)?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I'm so tired of this subject. While I'm not Catholic and have nothing against BC, I'm not going to force someone to pay for something that offends them. BC isn't illegal, get it some where else or fill out the paperwork or whatever. Nevermind the fact that our federal tax money funds abortion and God knows what else that offends me. Employer-provided health insurance of any kind is becoming a luxury, it's not a right.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• "Employer-provided health insurance of any kind is becoming a luxury, it's not a right. "

No, but it is a benefit offered as part of an employment package, and if an employee accepted a certain salary plus benefits, then they should be able to use those benefits for what they are intended for... health care. If an employee can no longer use that benefit due to the employer's stance on certain health issues, then I would think they are well within their rights to renegotiate their employment contract and ask for a raise in order to compensate 1) for the money the employee now has to spend on another, more expensive policy (because individual plans are more expensive then group plans), and 2) the company isn't paying for the employee to be on insurance anymore, so they should be able to compensate the employee accordingly.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• "Jobs are not rights either. "

Ok. So if a woman has worked for a company for 15 years and then say she is prescribed bc pills for ovarian cysts which are causing her so much pain that she can't function well (even at work). She either has to find another insurance policy (though she's been on company insurance for 15 years), jump through hoops on her current policy, or find another job! Wow, okay then....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• No they don't ask you what your religion is because as you stated, it is illegal.
    However just about everyone knows that chick fila and hobby lobby and and Catholic shool, Church or Most things with the word Saint in their name are Catholic institutions. Some things are not so obvious.
    Most of those institution are self insuring with a company that handles their accounts.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

Answer by missanc at 5:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• My point is that if you have access to employer-provided health insurance, count yourself lucky. And yes, I can agree with you, it is a contract you enter into upon employment. So you knowingly agree to work for a Catholic employer. Jobs are not rights either.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• If they employer is paying for any of it they should be able to choose what they are paying for. Birth control has been against Catholic doctrine for a very long time...they didn't just dream it up to inconvenience you. You are free to work for someone else or pay for it out of pocket like women have been doing for the last few decades.

The bigger issue here is the government interfering with established religious doctrine. What other right to you want them fooling with?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:43 AM on Feb. 4, 2013