How long are real contractions suppose to last?

I am almost 39 weeks pregnant with my first. I have been having really bad contractions but I dont know how long they are suppose to last & the intervals they are suppose to be at before I decide to go to the hospital. Also can someone tell me what exact places the pain is suppose to be at so I can make sure I am not dying!:/

AngelNValdez

Asked by AngelNValdez at 6:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Call labor and delivery.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Typically you'll be told to head to the hospital when your contractions are regular (they occur exactly on time) and five minutes apart. If this is not your first baby, you may want to head to the hospital a little earlier, say, 10 minutes apart and regular.

However, your doctor is the best person to answer this for you, of course
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I knew I was in labor when I felt like someone was riping open my crotch, I guess it is your pelvic.

Answer by louise2 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Contractions will last til the baby is born. Call your OB to advise you when to go to the hospital, some say when they are regular and 5 minutes apart but some say different.. Your OB knows your history, if you are dilated etc.. So you will get the best information from them.. When in doubt, just go to the hospital..

Pain, well that can be a tight feeling all over your belly, one side or the other, back or butt pain.. It does vary.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Is that from start to start of the contraction or from end to start?
    AngelNValdez

Comment by AngelNValdez (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Has your doctor made any recommendations? Usually women are told to go to the hospital when contractions are five minutes apart from the start of one contraction to the start of the next, an when the contractions don't stop if you have a big glass of water and lie down on your left side.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Usually real contractions will last at least a minute or more. Even if they aren't exactly regular, if they don't stop or if they get continually worse after you've had some water and rested on your left side for a while, it's the real thing. Real contractions will continue and worsen gradually no matter if you rest or stay active.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• My contractions were different with each labor and the stage of labor. Some of mine were like really bad menstrual cramps, some were pressure under my lungs and like my abdomin was being squeezed in a vice. My stomach was visible harder during the contractions. I had back labor, too, with one of mine. I couldn't talk or walk or anything during the back labor. It basically felt like someone was throwing a sledge hammer repeatedly into my back.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• It feels like your going to start your period and the longer they last it means the faster you need to get to the hospital. They also have contraction counters on the internet so when you call your dr. you can tell him the exact times between them.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 9:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Corning hospital told me to remember 411... contractions every four mins, lasting one min, for one hour then go to the hospital.
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 12:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2013