how do you keep spiders out of your home?

like is there any natural ways of doing it? Natural home made spray maybe?

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 4:26 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• No help here, but I"m going to track the replies - we live in SW FL, aka spider freakin' central.

Most of time, I live and let live but sometimes - wowzers. They just gotta go.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:14 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I don't know of anything that you can make at home, but there are plant based insecticides you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot. Many bug repellants are made with Chrysanthimum (sp?), but I'm not sure if just planting them will help. You can check the HGTV website for some ideas too.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:03 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I don't know of anything natural. My hubby is an arachnophobic, we spray anything and everything to rid of those pesky 8 leggers! I'd be interested in a natural alternative, hmmmm.....going to google that and see what comes up!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Here is what I found.....

1 Eliminate the things that attract spiders. Spiders come into homes looking for a place to eat, live and breed. Spiders eat other bugs. So if spiders are in your home, they are probably there because they have spotted other insects. Light attracts bugs including spiders. Install yellow bug repellant bulbs around your home for outside lighting. Another way to keep flies and other bugs out is by making necessary repairs to screens and windows. Seal all cracks and holes around doors and dash boards where insects can enter your home.
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:49 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• 2 Clean your home often. Dust ceilings, areas behind appliances, and dark corners. These are areas where spiders often hide and make webs and lay eggs, which can produce hundreds of baby spiders. Spray the area outside of your house with a water hose near the entrance into your home. This is where spiders breed and live before they come into your home. Tightly close trash bags and keep the lids on your garbage containers.
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• 3 Create your own natural spider pest control repellants. You can use peppermint or spearmint oils to repel spiders. Mix one of these oils with water and pour it into a spray bottle. Or you can put a few drops along window sills and other areas that spiders use to enter your house. Garlic is another repellant that you can use. Put a few cloves in a spray bottle and add water. Another option is using tomato leaves. Blend the tomato leaves and mix with 4 pints of water and one tablespoon of cornstarch. Strain the liquid in the fridge and use as needed. Put it in a spray bottle.

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Going to try these. Thanks for the question, learned a lot, going to go get peppermint / speriment oil today! I'd be curious for any other remedy as well or an update to see if the remedy works or not!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• We threw bug bombs up in our attic, hubby sealed up all the walls, etc... We also remodeled, that helped a great deal because we took all the old walls down and put up new.. I know its not natural but when it comes to bugs, spiders etc, we live in the country, I will do anything i can to get rid of them!!!!!
    Anonymous