Anyone else have an @sshole kid?

Ds is 8 and he is a complete and total ass. I know he can't help it. He has ODD, ADHD and they are testing him for bi-polar disorder ( his bio-dad has it as does his bio dad's sister but they are not like him! ) but OMG I can not handle this kids attitude. He is stomping his feet and throwing his stuff because I said it was bed time and he could not watch youtube videos and if he kept it up he would loose all computer time for the weekend... well he kept it up so they are gone and now he is really being a butt. intentionally yelling to keep his sister awake and there is not a damn thing I can do about it. I could bribe and take things away until I am blue in the face but he will still do it. I could spank him but then he would fly off the handle and starting hitting me and his sister and it would turn into a physical fight- me spanking followed by him hitting- followed by me spanking... I am at my freaking wits end. The kid has been self contained in school since 1st grade and I have had him in play therapy and counseling since he was 5 and he started anti-psychotics last year. What am I supposed to do? All his school can suggest is waiting until he is 11 and committing him to an inpatient program that his insurance ( as of now) will not cover and I sure as hell don't have the money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I"m pretty sure I've posted it before, maybe not with those exact words but close enough.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Yes. Control your own anger. Take away electronics- they may be having an adverse effect on his brain.

I would go to the doctor again.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Oh, were you talking about the OP?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I have never done anything out of anger with him. I do not scream t him- I have not spanked him in 3 years. I do tell his siter to hide and I do sometimes sit and restrain him. When I first wrote the post I was frustrated. That is allowed. Until you have been with my son for at least a few hours you have no idea what I go through. He is now 90 pound- only 50 pound lighter than me and capable of biting and drawing blood and pulling out handfuls of mine or my younger child's hair. He is in Therapy, counseling and the school is doing the best they can. The school has recommended I find him a full time program when he is old enough. We did not qualify for respite care because he has no debilitating diagnosis. If they would go ahead and call it Bi-polar we could but ADHD and ODD do not qualify. Besides I do not really have the $50 for the 3 hour session.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Have you looked into the Medicaid waiver program for your state? If he's in a self contained class he should definitely qualify. It's a hassle to jump through the hoops they want but it is such a huge help. Through my states program my oldest gets 20 hrs/week during school, 40 hrs/week summer of a one on one worker for him. Google it for your state, or contact a local disability group (autism society would work) and ask about it.

Answer by missanc at 8:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I do know what that's like. I have a cousin who has a child with a brain disorder. She is 16 and acts like she is 3 or 4. The bigger she gets, the harder it is for me cousin to control her. Eventually, she may have no choice except to put her in a home. She loves that kid with every inch of her being and I have NEVER hear her call her any names.... NEVER! That's unacceptable OP. You need to get that under control. Your family life is a mess.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Your the asshole for calling your son of 8 yrs an asshole
    mamide02ninas

Answer by mamide02ninas at 8:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I would have a tendency to give him some Melatonin.  Calm his ass down.    the one thing I would refurse to do is let him abuse me or my other kids.  He would stay in his room tell he calmed down.   Even if I had to put a lock on the outside of the door to make him stay in their tell he was calm.  JMO

Answer by louise2 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Sounds like he has and asshole for a mom.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 9:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• He has ADHD and ODD? How was he diagnosed? What was the process? Why is he on anti-psychotics? Did you know that children who are mistakenly diagnosed as having ADHD and given those meds have psychotic rages?
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2013