Anyone else have an @sshole kid?

Ds is 8 and he is a complete and total ass. I know he can't help it. He has ODD, ADHD and they are testing him for bi-polar disorder ( his bio-dad has it as does his bio dad's sister but they are not like him! ) but OMG I can not handle this kids attitude. He is stomping his feet and throwing his stuff because I said it was bed time and he could not watch youtube videos and if he kept it up he would loose all computer time for the weekend... well he kept it up so they are gone and now he is really being a butt. intentionally yelling to keep his sister awake and there is not a damn thing I can do about it. I could bribe and take things away until I am blue in the face but he will still do it. I could spank him but then he would fly off the handle and starting hitting me and his sister and it would turn into a physical fight- me spanking followed by him hitting- followed by me spanking... I am at my freaking wits end. The kid has been self contained in school since 1st grade and I have had him in play therapy and counseling since he was 5 and he started anti-psychotics last year. What am I supposed to do? All his school can suggest is waiting until he is 11 and committing him to an inpatient program that his insurance ( as of now) will not cover and I sure as hell don't have the money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You need respite help for yourself and you need much more intensive help for your son (and your daughter). First, you need to quit spanking because, clearly, you're doing it out of anger and it's fueling HIS anger and that's a bad recipe.

Have you gotten in touch with social services?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• My guess is that YOU are a big part of the problem. Who the FUCK calls their own child an asshole?

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• YOU need help.... Like NOW!! An 8 year old isn't old enough to be an asshole yet!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• While my kids have their moments, I'd never call them an asshole. I hope you don't say that to him. That is emotional abuse. It seems he has a lot going on maybe you should see a psychiatrist also to help you with dealing with him?
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 8:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• My aunt has a son who has OCD, mild aspergers, ans sensory disorder. He can be a handful? She's a single mom and it's hard on her she started therapy and it's really helped her. I would seriously look into it.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 8:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Kids learn by example. Guess who he is learning from....YOU
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Have you looked into the Medicaid waiver program for your state? If he's in a self contained class he should definitely qualify. It's a hassle to jump through the hoops they want but it is such a huge help. Through my states program my oldest gets 20 hrs/week during school, 40 hrs/week summer of a one on one worker for him. Google it for your state, or contact a local disability group (autism society would work) and ask about it.

Answer by missanc at 8:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I do know what that's like. I have a cousin who has a child with a brain disorder. She is 16 and acts like she is 3 or 4. The bigger she gets, the harder it is for me cousin to control her. Eventually, she may have no choice except to put her in a home. She loves that kid with every inch of her being and I have NEVER hear her call her any names.... NEVER! That's unacceptable OP. You need to get that under control. Your family life is a mess.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Ignore him. Sop fighting with him, let him have his fit.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I've read that before ^^^. I can't remember how long ago, but it was posted before.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2013