do you think gender selction is right or wrong?

i mean the surgical kind where they actaully flip the sperm to determine gender and then insert it invetro.. not just using differnt methods during sex
I dont agree with it but i guess if you have the money go for it..

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 6:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Let me preface my answer by saying that I am hopelessly infertile and IVF is the ONLY way I can get pregnant. I did NOT have any PGD testing done before any of my IVF cycles. I didn't care if I got a boy or a girl. I just wanted a child.

Now, if someone is doing PGD just to balance out their family, I question that (mostly because they should feel lucky to even have the ability to carry a child to term). It's their choice and they most likely don't know the pain of infertility.

However, I have a friend who tried repeatedly to conceive via IVF and on those few cycles where she was successful, she became pregnant with a girl. Each pregnancy ended in a miscarriage because of a disease that was gender-related. She was advised by her RE to pursue PGD in order to create and transfer male embryos, thus avoiding another doomed pregnancy and the loss of another daughter. She now has two healthy, happy boys.
    TheDeeDub

Answer by TheDeeDub at 1:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I do not agree with the surgical method. sorry but if everyone decides they want boys then what's gonna happen to the human race down the road when all we have left are boys? or vise versa for girls.

I have no issue with the sex timing method though, because it still leaves it up to chance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• It's yucky.

You get what you get and you don't throw a fit.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:36 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• It's a personal choice but i would never do it even people with lots of money doesn't do this sort of thing, why can't people be happy with what they've got or what they are about to get and let nature do it's this.

Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 8:12 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• i heard that some people even choose eye colors etc thats crazy to me. we should be grateful that we are blessed enough to have a baby! some people are happy to even be able to adopt a child!

and if you have that much money and dont know what to do with it.. donate =)
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 10:02 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I don't like it. I think its awful. I love my kids no matter their eye color or whether they are boys or girls.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• It sounds like too much interference with nature. You get what you get and hope for the best. The world needs both boys and girls, equally.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I think it is great. They call it family balancing. So may women have had more children then they wanted just trying to have that boy or girl. The procedure is Mirosort 75% chance for a boy and 93% chance for a girl the cost is $4,000.00 plus IVF fees and it works because I have a baby boy and a teenage daughter......this is not offered to everyone.....you have to meet the guidelines.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• i wonder what kind of guidelines they have?!
    i mean we arent talking about the social workers making sure that you are capable of raising a child. we are talking about if it is morally okay or not to choose what you are having.
    also to the women that have 7 kids JUST BECAUSE they are trying to conceive that one gender they want .. instead of getting that procedure they should get their tubes tied and dont have non at all because if you cant appreciate the MIRACLE of having a healthy baby then you dont need a baby at all..
    this might sound harsh to some women but i lost a baby and i do not understand how you can sit here and ask for specific genders and so on while you could invest that time and money into a great physician, hospital, blood cord banking, donate to poor children.. etc and just appreciate what god has blessed you with!
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 11:01 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• thedeedub.. thats a different story when you are willing to do anything just to have a HEALTHY baby. i look up to women who try over and over to have a baby. the loss of one is so hard to deal with then to get your courage together and try it all over just amazing to me. more power to those women.
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 11:06 AM on Feb. 16, 2009