New doctor question?

Background we moved 45 minutes away from our current doc and have new insurance that he doesn't accept. So I get a list and started calling to ask questions of possible new offices. The third office I call I ask are you accepting new patients and the answer I got surprised me. The woman replied not with yes or no but "we do not prescripe opiates or pshychiatric drugs do you still want to talk?" I understand this is a problem but if the office staff is opening with it would you still go there? She then asked for our info so the doctors could decide if they wanted us as patients before I even got to ask anything else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2013 in Health

• No I wouldn't go. If I need those drugs in the future I will not be able to get them. And the doctor decides if he wants you as a patient/s? It should be the other way around.

Answer by louise2 at 8:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• The US alone consumes something like 90% of opiates, pain killers etc compared to the rest of the world. It is a huge problem. I as a nurse or a MD do not want to deal with seekers doctor hopping just to get more, so I can see why they would make such a statement. It reaks havoc on a practice. On the other hand, when in need for accident or injury you need a PCP that will prescribe what you need... I see both sides, maybe the statement is used to deter seekers but for regular patients they will write.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• You would be amazed how many Dr shoppers are out there for the sole purpose of getting pain prescriptions.
    I think it's great they're letting you know ahead of time versus needing them and not able to get them.

I think you're going to see more and more of this.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• PMS is right. There are a lot of drug seekers out there. It pisses me off because it makes people who really need painkillers have a hard time getting them. The independent community pharmacy in my city just closed its doors after seventeen years because the owner got fed up with the dramatically increasing regulations on painkillers. My ex husband, who is immobile, nonverbal, and slowly dying of a rare form of Lou Gehrig's disease, has been denied narcotic drugs for pain. It's ridiculous!

Okay, rant over. I can seewhy the office staff would open with that statement, but it would be off-putting for me to hear it first thing, and especially to hear that whole "see if the doc wants you as a patient" bit. Excuse me? Who's working for who?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:10 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Like I said I understand the problem I have a sister who is addicted but of all the doctors I called on the list (8 of them) this was the only office that opened with that. I did have one other office tell me they won't prescribe them either, but will refer you to a psychiatrist if you need psychotics. But they told me this after talking with me a little. It was also the only office that told me the doctors would get back to me after deciding if they wanted me as a patient or not. I understand the doctors have the right to refuse to see you for different reasons, but to not let me ask my questions first and open with the question she did really bothered me. I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one though since DH thinks I am making a big deal out of nothing.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Well, you can look at it as a bad thing, or you can look at it as that if you needed those, at least you would know up front that this wouldn't be a doctor you could go to, because they couldn't meet your needs. The whole "doctor decides if he wants you as a patient" thing is a bit strange to me, but whatever.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2013