Would it bother you if your 20 year old child was dating someone 10+ years older?

Would you tell your child if it did?

txnmomof4

Asked by txnmomof4 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2013 in Relationships

• first, 20 is not a child, but a grown adult. No it would not bother me. He or she is grown. On their own. Can do what they like.

Answer by louise2 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• It would concern me a little, since at twenty I married someone ten years older. It's hard to have a relationship with someone who isn't at your stage i life. I wouldn't say anything because the more my parents objected when I did it, the more determined I was that it was my life and I knew what I was doing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• If my son was dating a lady 10 years older, yes, it would bother me. Considering women mature faster than men.
    It would definetly make me wonder what was wrong with her to want to date a child.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I'm 21 and dh is 34. My mom loves him though lol. She was concerned at first, which is understandable. I think it depends on the people involved. It could be a horrible idea or they could be great for each other. I would just talk to her and maybe try to get a feel of their relationship.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 11:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• No, not really. I don't get what the big deal is with two (legal, consenting) people being together when there's an age gap. It used to be common for people to have around 10 years between their ages, and if two people care about each other, I don't think age, race, gender, etc. should matter at all to anyone (again, if both parties are consenting adults). If they're happy, that's what matters. I would only have an issue with it if I knew for sure the older person was using my child, or being abusive.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:13 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I would find it odd they were not more atracted to someone their own age but I am not sure 'bothered' is the word I would use.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• It would, yes.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• It wouldn't so nothing to tell. Do I tell my 26 year old daughter when I think she is making a mistake, or something bothers me. Yes, I do and so does she right back.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Honestly? Yes it would. I know it's his life and if she makes him happy, that should make me happy. But yes, it would still bother me. I'm that kind of a parent. I don't know if that's good or bad
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 12:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I think it would depend in what type of 20 year old I had, if she was a young minded 20 I would prob be concerned, if she was a more mature assertive 20 I wouldn't be as concerned, also depends on what type of person the 30 year old is also, I don't think it's a 1 fits all type situation, and I don't think 10 years is such a huge difference, again depending on the people.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2013