The dog knows 1,000 words!

What can your dog do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6479QAJuz8

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 11:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2013 in Pets

• Well, my dog, who helps me travel since I can't see, saved my life once. She's got it pretty easy now that I work from home, but she used to trek with me to a job downtown by bus, shuttle, and light rail train.

One day it was pouring rain, and I was in a hurry to catch my bus and get home. There were some young men, maybe college age, walking ahead of me as we approached the light rail tracks. Maybe it was because I couldn't hear with the rain, or maybe I was just wet and cold and not thinking. But when the men crossed the tracks, I followed them instead of pausing to listen first. Then the train was bearing down, whistle blaring, and my heart stopped. The men had been trying to beat the train. Time seemed to freeze. I had a split second to wonder if I should let my dog go so she could save herself, and then she was yanking me backward, strong as an ox. The people who saw it said she definitely saved my life.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• My dog tried to jump up and play with a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses when they showed up on my porch. They ended up running away. So I guess her talent is scaring away Jehovah's Witnesses.

And eating shoes.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 12:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Cool Ballad, is she a seeing eye dog? I had a blind student teacher this year. She had a seeing eye dog. The kids loved that dog.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Back when my old girl was younger, she could do all kinds of things. I swear they do understand more than they are given credit for. Now I'm just happy if I wake up & there's no accidents! :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I saw a dog on talented pets or something like that. He was amazing.
    Mine can do a number of things but also blatently ingnores me if he wants. Very frustrating. The female Has finally allowed herself to be rubbed and will come onto the couch with you for about 30 seconds, without a whole lot longer. She will sit and now will touch. I am good with that.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• My poodle knows how to get to the cat's food even though it's up on a chair so she supposedly won't eat it.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:08 AM on Feb. 2, 2013