Is this going to be a on going thing with Obamacare and the requirement to have health coverage...

I do not know if all employers will eventually do this to get out out providing health benefits, but my DH's employer did. My Dh and 5 others have been working as a armed courier for a armored truck company for almost 8 months, and getting up to 35 hrs a week, and at the 6 month mark he supposed to get health benefits. He pays half his employer pays the other half. Then as of 1/17/2013 he get his hours cut to 25, and the 5 other employees he hired in with got the same cut. Its puzzling and I thought it was the typical downsizing on hours that happens when winter hits Michigan. Then my DH tells me that they picked up 4 new accounts and 6 more ATM's to be serviced a week. The folks that have been there a year which is 4 still gets the 40 hr a week plus a little overtime. Will this happen to other folks as well when Obamacare really takes effect? Or has it already? I read that if employees are not full time, they are not entitled to receive health coverage from their employer. My DH told me a full timer told him thats why the company cut their hours was so they didn't get the coverage cause the company is cheap and will shave corners to save money. I do not get it though cause this company is nationwide, even Hawaii. This is endlessly frustrating! I thought we could finally stay out of state assistance for food and medicaid for our dd. But nooooo, we can't get off food assistance cause 25 hrs a week just doesn't cut it when you include bills and what not. He will be making $1090 a month and our mortgage is $550 a month. Damn it! Does anyone know if a employer can do this?? Our dd isn't even potty trained yet, and no daycare will take her. And we have no family members close by for the occasional babysitting so I could maybe get a job. And it would make no sense to pay a babysitter so I can work just to give her money. This sucks so BAD!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Unfortunately this is happening everywhere. We have several employees in our company that have been cut to 25 hrs a week. These folks have been there less than a year.
    Another company, Harbor Freight, cut ALL of their employees to 25 hrs regardless of their length of service! Sad really!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• It sucks. Cause you make to much to be on medicaid, and do not make enough to pay for your insurance, so your get screwed at the end of the year when you supposedly taxed for not having health coverage. Taxed my ass, its a cleverly worded so the Supreme Court would pass it. You are getting fined..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Sounds about right
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:18 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• It's not because of Obamacare I don't think, it's because Medical Insurance is so expensive. I never heard of a Company providing medical coverage if you only work part time. It is absolutely terrible. I know how you feel. We pay $1,300 a month out of pocket for medical coverage for our family. We scrape by. Has your DH thought of becoming a Cop or a Marshall? County & State jobs are more secure & the medical benefits are excellent. My DH is past the age to take tests for those jobs where we live or else he would do it. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• As much as it sucks, yes they can do it. If a company hires you as a part time employee, if there's nothing in writing that promises to make you full time or provide insurance or give raises or anything other thing you might think of, then they can pretty much do whatever they want.

I also agree with ILovemyPaulie - I don't think it's necessarily Obamacare so much as just that everyone, families and businesses alike, are cutting corners to save money wherever they can. It just sucks that businesses cutting corners affects families.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Yes, there are many companies cutting corners to avoid paying the health insurance they are required to provide by Obamacare. I don't fault the companies, they are in business to make money. But if Obamacare didn't require them to provide insurance, they would still be having the workers working more hours and better able to afford the insurance on their own, or at least not get "fined" for not having it.

Answer by missanc at 10:13 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• This started before it was even passed, and it will continue. Ultimately, we'll end up forced into government healthcare by default, which is what the original authors of the bill wanted all along.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Health Care as it is is soooo expensive, so to add the whole upcoming Obama care is just going to make prices sky rocket up. Which would mean business, especially small business will not be able to afford to pay for health care, so they will keep their employees under so they don't have to pay it. I know of a few places who are going to have to cut back or they won't stay in buisness.  Which will put more people into the government healthcare, which then the government will need more taxes to cover the increase of people who can not obtain healthcare through their work place.

Anonymous

• O to healthcare.gov. To find low cost insurance.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• If our govt wants us to have health care, I am all for it if they put a cap on some of these insurance companies. $1300 a month out of pocket is stupid expensive! AS for my Dh becoming a cop he doesn't meet with age requirements. Hes 49 yrs old. It cases like this is where a Union would be beneficial, cause then his company couldn't do that. They used to be Union, but then they got to much about money, and too little about the people. But this was all a long before my DH worked for them.
    May our govt should fine tune this Obamacare thing and give some of these small companies a incentive to provide coverage like a big tax brake or something.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2013