Would you let your child skype w/ "friends" online?

My 10 y/o asked if she could since that seems to be a feature on her Kindle. Her dad & I are not comfortable with it. She really doesn't know these people on Roblox anyway. Do you let your kids skype?

Asked by mrsmom110 at 8:37 AM on Feb. 2, 2013 in General Parenting

• Not with people they don't know in real life. But I don't let them chat with people they don't know in real life either.

Answer by missanc at 8:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I would not let her skype with members of a gaming community that she does not know IRL. I wouldn't be happy about her making and receiving comments either.

Skype, Oovoo, and Facetime are all big with my 13 yo and her friends, but I have access to her lists and history and she only uses them with IRL friends and family.

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:18 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Only have IRL friends on Facebook and only IRL friends to Skype. You don't KNOW who these people really are, and at 10, her judgement isn't the best yet.

Answer by layh41407 at 10:37 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I might, if it was people that they knew in real life, and that I also knew. Of course, the usual computer rules would apply (being in a common room, I can check history, etc.). Anyone other than that, no.

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Not with online friends cause he does not know who they really are and neither do I.

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• My sons both Skype, they have friends all over the country ( from moving so much). It's a great way to keep in touch

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

• No probably not.

Answer by m-avi at 8:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• With anyone other then family and people they have actually meet, hell no. I hardly even put pics of my kids on my facebook. Let alone allow them to talk to people that don't know IRL.

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• no

Answer by notasha.taggart at 11:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• The Roblox game she plays allows for others in the game to make comments to each other. She is very careful about that. She knows the rules about online safety.

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2013