Should a 12 year old be allowed to swear?

My daughter is very mature for her age and she gets amazing grades but I caught her swearing with her friend.I asked her about it and she replied that she was simply angry with her friends crush because he was being unreasonable.She was trying to console her friend and slipped up saying a cuss word , so should I let my daughter cuss?

Val.Santos

Asked by Val.Santos at 2:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Thts entirely up to you. My 14 yo slips sometimes, I don't freak but they know blatant use isn't tolerated.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Condone...no but, realizing that it's bound to happen occasionally.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I don't even allow my 17 yr old to swear. Anytime I catch my children swearing, I tell them to watch their mouth. If they are playing a video game and swear, they get 2 warnings and if they can't watch their mouth, then they are done playing the video game. I try to set a good example and not swear myself. I want my kids to grow up to be upstanding members of society and want them to get good jobs, not jobs as sailors.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 2:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• That's a personal thing. I don't allow my kids (not even my 15 yo) to cuss or even say hurtful words (dumb, stupid, etc.) in reference to someone. I have grounded my now 13 yo for saying shut up to his sister. It's just the rule of our house, but I have friends who let their kids say anything they want - different parenting styles.

Answer by missanc at 2:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I don't allow the kids to swear in front of me just because I think they need to remember that there are times and places where it is not appropriate. However, what they do around their friends is somewhat out of my control. The best I can do is remind them that it is inappropriate and not to make it a habit, and to remind them that it may seem cool to do so among peers but to remember to not do it around teachers, employers, etc.

As a side note... away from my kids I admit that I swear quite a bit, but I know where and when I shouldn't do so. I believe I am an upstanding person and I have a great job. So people need to also know that just because a person swears, doesn't mean they're trash.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• No, I never allowed you kids to cuss around me. It is a respect thing to me.

Answer by louise2 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I do not and would not allow my son to and if it happened he would be disciplined for it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• No. If she is as intelligent as you say she should be able to find another way to express herself.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2013