Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Deal with a teenage daughter with a type of depression?

My 13 year old daughter has Borderline Personality Disorder and it is a depression that comes once in a while and lasts for a few weeks or even a few months. She severely dislikes talking about it and usually is very talkative and happy.But when something makes her unhappy she gets VERY unhappy. I dont know how to deal with her. I get angry and irritated very easily with her and sometimes lose control and hit her for unreasonable things but i do not apologize which is the worst part and then i immediately make her cry and when i try to tell her i am sorry she pushes me away and will not let me talk to her for atleast 2 days. I really have no idea how to deal with her anymore and i need advice,

Answer Question

Asked by Val.Santos at 3:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Does she have a therapist and if so has these issues been discussed?
    If not its best to get one.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

  • You just said it yourself what you should stop doing.
    Teenagers are moody & hormonal to begin with and if she has a depression issue she should get some professional help and not have a mother hitting on her and reacting so quickly in a negative way often. STOP and think about what you are doing becasue I tell you, you are not helping her AT ALL!!

    Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

  • You shouldn't be hitting your 13 year old daughter, for any reason. You say you hit her for "unreasonable things" there is no reason to hit your child. That's my opinion. She has do many of us. You need to change your behavior because you are only going to make things worse. And I tell you this because I was the same way when I was her age, and if my parents had hit me.. it would have sent me over the edge. You need to be understanding, and loving, not angry.. I think you should get her into counseling.. and maybe get some yourself to get some help figuring out positive ways to help her deal with her feelings, and to help you find ways to deal with your feelings.

    Answer by momofthree3708 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

  • and sometimes lose control and hit her for unreasonable things

    You need psychological help

    Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

  • sounds like you could both use some counseling

    Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

  • Family counseling. If you cannot afford it call 211 for a referral. Good luck.

    Answer by booklover545 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.