How is this possible?

Lately my power company has been sending monthly letters telling me what my power consumption is every month, and letting me know how I rank with my neighbors power use. This is not in the bill, it is a separate letter.Every month it says I use way more power than my neighbors. This month it said I used 80% more power than my neighbors. ???? Seriously? I have my thermostat set at 55 degrees at night and work time, and 65 degrees for weekend and evening. All my windows are fairly new double pained, and we are obsessive about turning off lights. We take short showers, and have blocked off the heat to the seldom used down stairs areas. We do 2 loads of laundry a WEEK, and wash laundry in cold water. Besides unplugging things like toasters, etc... I'm not sure what else I can do.

musicmaker

Asked by musicmaker at 3:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Most power companies offer a free power assessment. They send a worker out with a meter and plug all your stuff into it and see how much power it all consumes.

My local libraries also "rent" out that power meter so you can do it yourself.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I'd be very suspicious of such a letter. Is it strictly informational or are they trying to selll something like weatherproofing, new windows, energy use analysis, etc?
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I'd have it investigated. That makes no sense.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• You can get them to come out and talk to you about it. I would ask for an evaluation just to make sure that everything is hooked up properly, including your meters....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Do you have any older applicances in the home? They can use up more electricity than the energy saving ones.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Are you sure it wasn't saying that you use around 80% of want your neighbors average?
    That doesn't sound right, I'd call them.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Blocking off rooms does not conserve heat. It makes you furnace work harder. Because the cold air seeps out of the rooms.  We leave all the doors open in hour house. Meaning bedroom doors are left open. Our ceiling fans are on all the time.  My temp is set to 76, 24/7. Only gets turned off when we air out the house. All out light bulbs are those new fluorescent ones.  Our utilties are prety low for a 1800 sqft house.

You must have a older home. We have a new home.

Answer by louise2 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Newer heat pumps are probably more energy efficient but do some research online and educate yourself about them so that if you do start talking about a new one you have some basic information and don't let someone give you a snow job. GL!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 4:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• *what*, not "want" ^^^
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I'd call the power Co. & ask them to send a represtative to check out if there is something wrong with your meter. I knew a family that bought a home & the seller had no power bills to show them. Upon investigation, it turned out that the electric was being paid by another home somewhere else with a similar address.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2013