How is this possible?

Lately my power company has been sending monthly letters telling me what my power consumption is every month, and letting me know how I rank with my neighbors power use. This is not in the bill, it is a separate letter.Every month it says I use way more power than my neighbors. This month it said I used 80% more power than my neighbors. ???? Seriously? I have my thermostat set at 55 degrees at night and work time, and 65 degrees for weekend and evening. All my windows are fairly new double pained, and we are obsessive about turning off lights. We take short showers, and have blocked off the heat to the seldom used down stairs areas. We do 2 loads of laundry a WEEK, and wash laundry in cold water. Besides unplugging things like toasters, etc... I'm not sure what else I can do.

musicmaker

Asked by musicmaker at 3:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Yeah, I think I'm going to have to have them come out and see what is going on. We do have a few older appliances, but mostly we have energy star appliances. It is an older house, but I'm assuming they are comparing my house to the other older houses in my neighborhood. My heat pump is original to the home so it is 35 years old. Do you think I need a new heat pump?

musicmaker

Comment by musicmaker (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Yea a 35 year old furnace/heatpump as you call it probably is the problem.

Answer by louise2 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I have also noticed that people who turn their heat up and down tend to use more energy. We generally keep ours at the same temp as much as possible. On the days it's colder, we use blankets and extra layers.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• What staci said
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• maybe the exact letter goes out to all the neighbors trying to ge people to lose less power?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• That is strange hope you find what the problem is, but call them to be sure.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 9:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2013