How is this possible?

Lately my power company has been sending monthly letters telling me what my power consumption is every month, and letting me know how I rank with my neighbors power use. This is not in the bill, it is a separate letter.Every month it says I use way more power than my neighbors. This month it said I used 80% more power than my neighbors. ???? Seriously? I have my thermostat set at 55 degrees at night and work time, and 65 degrees for weekend and evening. All my windows are fairly new double pained, and we are obsessive about turning off lights. We take short showers, and have blocked off the heat to the seldom used down stairs areas. We do 2 loads of laundry a WEEK, and wash laundry in cold water. Besides unplugging things like toasters, etc... I'm not sure what else I can do.

musicmaker

Asked by musicmaker at 3:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Most power companies offer a free power assessment. They send a worker out with a meter and plug all your stuff into it and see how much power it all consumes.

My local libraries also "rent" out that power meter so you can do it yourself.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• That is strange hope you find what the problem is, but call them to be sure.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 9:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• maybe the exact letter goes out to all the neighbors trying to ge people to lose less power?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• What staci said
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I have also noticed that people who turn their heat up and down tend to use more energy. We generally keep ours at the same temp as much as possible. On the days it's colder, we use blankets and extra layers.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Yea a 35 year old furnace/heatpump as you call it probably is the problem.

Answer by louise2 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Newer heat pumps are probably more energy efficient but do some research online and educate yourself about them so that if you do start talking about a new one you have some basic information and don't let someone give you a snow job. GL!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 4:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Yeah, I think I'm going to have to have them come out and see what is going on. We do have a few older appliances, but mostly we have energy star appliances. It is an older house, but I'm assuming they are comparing my house to the other older houses in my neighborhood. My heat pump is original to the home so it is 35 years old. Do you think I need a new heat pump?

musicmaker

Comment by musicmaker (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I'd call the power Co. & ask them to send a represtative to check out if there is something wrong with your meter. I knew a family that bought a home & the seller had no power bills to show them. Upon investigation, it turned out that the electric was being paid by another home somewhere else with a similar address.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I'd be very suspicious of such a letter. Is it strictly informational or are they trying to selll something like weatherproofing, new windows, energy use analysis, etc?
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2013