How is this possible?

Lately my power company has been sending monthly letters telling me what my power consumption is every month, and letting me know how I rank with my neighbors power use. This is not in the bill, it is a separate letter.Every month it says I use way more power than my neighbors. This month it said I used 80% more power than my neighbors. ???? Seriously? I have my thermostat set at 55 degrees at night and work time, and 65 degrees for weekend and evening. All my windows are fairly new double pained, and we are obsessive about turning off lights. We take short showers, and have blocked off the heat to the seldom used down stairs areas. We do 2 loads of laundry a WEEK, and wash laundry in cold water. Besides unplugging things like toasters, etc... I'm not sure what else I can do.

Asked by musicmaker at 3:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Most power companies offer a free power assessment. They send a worker out with a meter and plug all your stuff into it and see how much power it all consumes.

My local libraries also "rent" out that power meter so you can do it yourself.

Answer by staciandababy at 4:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I'd have it investigated. That makes no sense.

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• You can get them to come out and talk to you about it. I would ask for an evaluation just to make sure that everything is hooked up properly, including your meters....

Answer by m-avi at 3:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Do you have any older applicances in the home? They can use up more electricity than the energy saving ones.

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Are you sure it wasn't saying that you use around 80% of want your neighbors average?
    That doesn't sound right, I'd call them.

Answer by 3libras at 3:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• *what*, not "want" ^^^

Answer by 3libras at 3:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Blocking off rooms does not conserve heat. It makes you furnace work harder. Because the cold air seeps out of the rooms.  We leave all the doors open in hour house. Meaning bedroom doors are left open. Our ceiling fans are on all the time.  My temp is set to 76, 24/7. Only gets turned off when we air out the house. All out light bulbs are those new fluorescent ones.  Our utilties are prety low for a 1800 sqft house.

You must have a older home. We have a new home.

Answer by louise2 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I'd be very suspicious of such a letter. Is it strictly informational or are they trying to selll something like weatherproofing, new windows, energy use analysis, etc?

Answer by silverthreads at 3:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I'd call the power Co. & ask them to send a represtative to check out if there is something wrong with your meter. I knew a family that bought a home & the seller had no power bills to show them. Upon investigation, it turned out that the electric was being paid by another home somewhere else with a similar address.

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Yeah, I think I'm going to have to have them come out and see what is going on. We do have a few older appliances, but mostly we have energy star appliances. It is an older house, but I'm assuming they are comparing my house to the other older houses in my neighborhood. My heat pump is original to the home so it is 35 years old. Do you think I need a new heat pump?

Comment by musicmaker (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2013