Question for all employed moms (or answer on behalf of your SO if you don't work, but know the answer for them)

What is the exact religion and denomination of the owner of your place of employment?

Did you already know this or did you have to seek it out?

Were you informed of it before you were hired?

Were you asked your own religion or stance on social issues like birth control and abortion before you were hired?

ETA: (good idea, Kristi) Do you have insurance, and if so, does it cover bc?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• No clue. It's a huge electric company that was founded in 1836 in France and teh only thing about the "owner" is that he was a french industrialist and one of the 72 names on the eiffel tower.
    Had to seek out the info
    Religion is not mentioned in regards to the company in any way shape or form.
    No religious or social stances were asked.
    Our insurance pays for my birthcontrol.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I've never known except of one, it was a family owned business and they were friends of mine.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• dont know,
    his company would probably fire someone for discussing such things as it is in the handbook as a no no

we happen to be lucky with his company, insurance actually went down this year with increased benefits. I cant say that for many family members, on has to seek outside insurance because his boss will not provide ins w/ birth control or abortion coverage. They have a son with medical issues that are very expensive.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I know the owner of our company is an atheist because I am the owner of our company. However, the company we are subcontractors for the most is run by a whole bunch of Mormons.

I guessed it at first because the company is based in Utah. It was confirmed when my husband visited their offices and saw some pretty obnoxious bumper stickers on their cars.

No.

No, and it wouldn't matter because our company only subcontracts for them. We have to have our own insurance and run our business as we see fit. They just find us work and mark up our prices to their clients.

We have shit insurance we pay for ourselves. It has a $9000 family deductible before it covers anything. I don't know if it covers birth control because my husband had a vasectomy years before this insurance (we paid for the vasectomy out of pocket because the insurance we had then didn't cover any of it.)
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Both of us work for large companies that are not owned by one person, persay. My insurance covers IUD, and sterilization. My husband's covers everything you could imagine, with I assume the exception of condoms!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 5:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Our company is Christian based. I was never asked what my denomination was but they do have a policy in place for those that worship are given the time off to do so.

They don't push religion and yes, Insurance pays for Birth Control.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Nope but in our respective jobs we were told what was and what was not covered by our plans, how much the company would pay into the plan and how much our plan(s) would cost ust aproximately per pay period.
    We were also given the option to opt out and look into other care or simply use the spouses insurance plan as we wished. We did not have the option to tell our employer what he would or would not cover.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I work for a large public company. Insurance covers BC. Religion have never been brought up in the 21 years i have worked there.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 5:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• We did not have the option to tell our employer what he would or would not cover.

But the assertion was made in my other question that everyone knows what religion their employer is and what moral objections they would have to certain coverage. So far that appears to be the exact opposite of how it works in reality.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• Right now, I work at home & don't have ins. So, I'll go with my last job. I worked for the State of NY. Completely non-religious. BC was not fully covered, I had a co-pay of $9 for my BC pills. But, that was back in 2006 (pre-health care bill).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2013