Bodily Autonomy Arguments. We have more in common then you think. What could help us compromise just a bit more?

I'm involved with a group of ladies who support the right of a woman to give birth by maternal request cesarean. Many of these ladies have come by this based on tokophobia and other psychological reasons but also family and personal history both medical and private. I believe in informed consent on this matter but also having your personal medical history evaluated as to whether or not your a good candidate for surgery.

Homebirth is quite common where I am and I have noticed that to them this is also a bodily autonomy issue. But is also an issue where families choose this based on history and beliefs. I think with full informed consent and an evaluation of medical history and current pregnancy to see whether or not they are good candidates is always the best idea.

So just on this we can see that both of these deal with a similar level of autonomy to make one's medical decisions being desired. It's been tossed around that if we could stop being at each other's throats we could see how similar we really are.

I know that there are a lot of people on here that don't care but this is also the place that I've seen the most let's call it disagreement on this topic.
So what could help us make peace?
If you have no opinion a bump would be nice.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 12:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• I haven't noticed any arguments concerning c-sections versus natural birth.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• What is tokophobia and maternal request cesarean?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Tokophobia is fear of childbirth staci.

Maternal request cesarean is a request by the mother to have a c-section.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• @PMSMom10 It's pretty heavy on some parts of the site. I can name names but I'm not sure that's very appropriate. Thank you for defining things I get overly technical sometimes.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Both my kids were planned c sections. My daughter because she was 10 pounds, and the doc was afraid she would get stuck, and my son because the doc asked me what I preferred. They thought he was going to be large too, so I chose c section. He ended up coming 2 weeks early so he was only 8.1 lbs.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:40 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Sorry, to me that is elective surgery which should not be covered any more than a nose job simply because you want one. If it conmes down to your Dr. saying tht you should opt for a C I say fine and good but not just because that is what you want.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:56 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• So what could help us make peace?

An act of God. Probably nothing less. The "right way" to do childbirth, in my experience, gets women riled up more quickly than most any other topic of conversation.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:06 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Heck Ballad I had C sections with both. I don't care what a woman does as far as that goes, I just think it should be covered by insurance the same as elective surgery, which it is.

And the fear of childbirth is in every woman to one extent or another.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:54 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• @Dardenella FYI most women who opt for this do pay mostly out of pocket to some extent with the exception of those who meet the NICE guidelines in the UK based on severity of emotional distress. Some women are so phobic of childbirth that they might need to be admitted psychiatrically or seek late term abortions of even desired pregnancies to avoid childbirth.

I guess I'm also curious as to why you chose to compare it to a nose job which is obvious something frivolous?
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• So no ideas?
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2013