Do you think parents should intervine if adult children are not getting along?

Or is it not the parents place? If your children are adults they need to figure it out.

Not necessacrily fighting just distant and not talking.

txnmomof4

Asked by txnmomof4 at 1:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2013 in Relationships

• I will never understand how a grown up brother and sister that grew up together can go distant or not talk...I also understand that they are human and as such things happen to make this happen. I would intervene and make them kiss and make up and remind them the power of blood.....and family.....with a little love all can be conquered, now if that is missing that is a different story....

Answer by older at 9:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• The only time I interfere is if it migrates into my house. If you are going to fight, give the silent treatment or otherwise make it uncomfortable do not come over.

If asked by both to mediate I will.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:37 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I'm not close with one of my brothers. My mom could intervene but it wouldn't do any good. We just have nothing in common except for sharing our parents, and that's fine. She'd be wasting her breath to try to change things.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:43 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• If my kids were fighting I would probably try to see if I could find a way to resolve what ever was causing the problem. At the very least I would insist that they not fight when they were in my home.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:32 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• We have adult sons and they share an apt. One is always complaining about the other.
    We don't intervine but listen to them vent and only offer advice if asked.
    They're actually pretty close but they have their moments. I think they just need to vent, nothing more.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• That is too bad Ginger
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:50 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I haven't spoken with my brother in almost 5 years. He's mad at me because our mom didn't leave him as much money as he wanted. This is the same guy who referred to our mom as "the bitch". And visited her 2 times in 10 years. He said when I apologise to him we can talk.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I think they should only intervene if there was a misunderstanding at the root of the bad feeling and if they know and can help by making it clear to the one who was offended.

Otherwise they should not interfere.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Man my girls are close and I hope they stay that way. I try to teach them that sisters should always be there for each other and they are truly the best friend you could ever have. I hope they always get along. They are still young I think I'd try to get them to work things out but if they can't they would have to figure it out.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• We do at family functions and such, but have never sought each other out otherwise. My other brother and I are close though. My mom has to be happy with what she has, lol.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 3, 2013