Why is my 4 yr old suddenly sooooooo clingy???

I already went through this phase when she was an infant and every time I left her sight, it was a full nuclear meltdown! Now she has to be where I am at, looking up at me and being so cute, batting the big 'ol brown eyes and says "I need a hug!" 10 to 15 times a day. And I am not kidding! Constantly wanting to sit on my lap, everything! I love her to pieces, she is my reason for living, but I am getting frustrated, and I feel guilty as hell! Is this a normal thing she will hopefully grow out of tomorrow?!?! Please tell me its a phase.....please for my sanity. I can'r even go to the bathroom without locking the door now.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:37 AM on Feb. 3, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had the same problem with my son. Kids at that age can be so obsessive so with my son we found something that he really liked to do and we let him do it. He loves the Angry Birds board games and I don't have a problem letting him play with it because he builds dexterity and concentration by building towers and then gets the boy satisfaction of knocking them down. We have bought him 3 or 4 versions of the game and he can play it for hours. When he builds a big tower he calls for us to come see it and we fuss over how nice it is. He builds towers out of everything all over the house-it gives him a sense of pride. It took us a few tries to find something he liked so much but his growing independance has been worth any cost. Maybe your little one will feel the same way about something. Hope this gives you some ideas.
    jkahat

Answer by jkahat at 9:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I'm not pregnant, either, and my four-year-old is doing exactly the same thing. I love her with every ounce of my being, but I'm feeling smothered. I assumed it was because she was tired of being an only child and all three of her little friends in our condo complex have moved away recently. But it sounds like maybe it's just part of being four, from all of our stories.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• It is really just a phase and maybe if you give her something to occupy herself with like a coloring book, reading book with pictures, a pet, invite some new friends for her to play with. Introduce her to more people then she will become more social.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:31 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Sounds like my 3 year old. I cant even sit down somewhere without her already being in my way. She sits on my feet so I cant walk and breathes in my face and twirlsnmy hair at dinner.

Its what best friends do.

Is there anything taking up some of your attention?

I have a baby. I assumed that was her issue.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Nope, she is my one and only..
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• My kids were like that when I was pregnant, before I even knew.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 1:56 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I already know I am not pregnant, I asked the ladies on here if I was and they said no!! LOL I had my tubes tied after my dd, plus you have to have sex to get pregnant. Its been sooooooooooooooooooooooooo long....
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 2:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Hopefully its just a phase & it doesn't last long. I feel your pain, b/c in a lot of ways my 10 y/o still has her clingy moments too. The way I look at it, they're only little for such a short time. Before you know it they'll be in that stage where the only time they want to be around you is to give them money & take them places! :p Yes, it gets frustrating, but just know it won't last. Hang in there
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:53 AM on Feb. 3, 2013