What is a good idea for my baby boys 1st birthday cake?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You can make it a theme out of something he likes like Elmo or trucks or whatever he likes. Go to your local grocery store and see what they offer. Most grocery stores offer a free smash cake too.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Personally I would make a homemade cake for your little one. There are so many colorings and other "things" in the store bought cake. If you want something more colorful then buy a store bought cake for the guests and make you little one his own cake. I use the wilton recipe.  Depending on how handy you are you can buy cake pans in all sorts of shapes and frost them with a little patients.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• How about a caterpillar cake. Boys like bugs. You could even make it out of cupcakes and each cupcake would be a slice of cake.
    Pamq

Answer by Pamq at 8:49 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I would suggest 2 cakes, one for everyone that goes with the theme- his favorite cartoon character, trucks, construction equipment,bugs, cowboys and horses... and another little one for your son so he can "dig right in" to his own cake. And don't be afraid to go for the chocolate kids are highly washable and it's only one day!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• We have peanut allergies in the family and being that at 1 my son had not been exposed to many things yet I wanted to play it safe. Many bakeries and stores cant guarentee nut free because things with nuts are made there.

So we did a banana cake with a whip cream type frosting. The kids LOVED it and glommed it up. It wasnt like banana bread -- many bakeries make it, it is sweeter and a little healthier then the average cake.
    KristyCT

Answer by KristyCT at 10:05 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• The what to expect when your expecting book has a nice cake in it, yummy and nutritious. It's kind of a carrot cake, so at least they are getting some nutrition on such a happy, hectic day!

I waited on chocolate because we have food allergies.

If you want the recipe,drop me a line. It's long to type out if someone has no interest in using it ;D
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• For my first son, I made his cake looke like ABC blocks, for my second son I did a regular sheet cake and piped on a bunch of balloons because he loved balloons. My twins first birthday is coming up soon and I have no idea what I'm going to do for them!
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 10:46 AM on Feb. 16, 2009