Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice really bad!!

A little over 1 year ago I moved to Florida and at the time didn't have room for a lot of my household stuff so my dad took it and put it in his basement to store. Soon after I moved we had a big falling out and we still haven't not spoken to each other today. I have been emailing my stepmom for about 3months trying to get my stuff back and they refuse to talk to me and let me know if they still have my stuff, they might have sold it in a yard sale, I don't know. All my pictures of my son, his baby book, outfit he wore home, pots and pans, everything pretty much that wouldn't fit into my car they have! Now they refuse to talk to me and I don't know what to do anymore! Should I talk to a lawyer, because they have no right to sell my belongings and if they did I should get the money! Some of that stuff has no value and cannot be replaced! Need advice please!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • must've been a hell of a fight with some nasty words for that to happen. maybe you should show up and try to retrieve it

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

  • I am sorry to hear this. I'd say exhaust all other ways before going with a lawyer- partly because of the expense that would bring you. How about just showing up at their door and asking for your stuff. Have you apologized to them for whatever they think you did? Sometimes we just understand the other person's feelings and how they feel they have been wronged and we try to set things right with them. If you can set things right somehow- really hard to do if they won't talk to you, I know. maybe flowers sent to them with a little message- I am sorry, please forgive me, and so forth. If you can get communications open then at some point, not right away, you can get your things back if they are still there. They may be holding your stuff as a power play, but if you want it back, you may have to try to make peace first.

    Answer by Bmat at 10:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

  • I would do that but I am living out of state, and since I moved they moved also.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

  • Kiss ass and make up.

    Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:27 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

  • ok Just to let everyone know, I have told my dad I was sorry for my part and he blew me off, my dad and I have had a rocky relationship my whole life. We cant just kiss kiss and make up its a little deeper than that,

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

  • I think if you arrange with the local police station for a police officer to go along with you and get your belongings....that would be your best bet. Call the station because you may need to give them notice by certified mail or served letter. Not sure about that part but call the police station first.

    Answer by Fallon_Long at 1:05 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

  • I would call their local police and find out what they'd recommend.

    Answer by cypris420 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.