dh's family is in town and his 1 year old nephew has RSV. He's been on antibiotics since Tuesday, is it safe for my 4 m/0 to be around him?

From what I remember if you are on antibiotics it means you're not contagious but dh is still worried. His family is staying at his parent's house, so we're aren't around them THAT much, but we still have to go over there for dinners and such.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would be very cautious... My daughter had RSV when she was 1 month old, and when she was 5 months old. I know that it is a very contagious illness.. Be careful
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• RSV is a virus...antibiotics won't do anything to help. The virus just has to run it's course. Now if the 1 yo is on antibiotics because the RSV caused something like Bronchitis, then it will be taking care of the Bronchitis but not the RSV. I think you should not let your 4 mo around the 1 yo. RSV is so so so dangerous for little babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• RSV is very contagious and very dangerous for a young baby. I personally would not take the risk.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:23 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I just called the dr. (I didn't even think about RSV being viral...DUH!) and I think we will be staying away. da*m in-laws bringing their sick kid around my little baby! jk. I just feel bad that we are going to miss out on all the company.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• has your baby had any lung problems? if so i would not take the chance
    spiteful

Answer by spiteful at 12:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Antibiotics won't do anything for RSV, it's a virus. If he's on antibiotics, it's maybe for an ear infection?

Find someone else to watch the baby and go visit family. Just wash up and sanitize your hands before you pick up the baby....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Antibiotics will do nothing for RSV at all. It's a virus.
    I wouldn't have my 4 month old around anyone with RSV if I could prevent it. It's an awful virus for young babies and can land you in the hospital for a couple of weeks!
    I wouldn't take the risk.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2009