I'm calling the doctor tomorrow, but I still have a fever question in the meantime.

The last 4 days/nights, I start running a fever around 5pm or so. It gets up to 102, and makes it impossible to get to sleep, and I'm miserable. By the time I wake up in the morning though, it's broken. Is this normal? I can't remember the last time I had a fever. I have not been taking anything for it or doing anything to try to bring it down. When my kids have a fever (rare) it stays up until it breaks, and stays away. Am I sicker than I thought, or not as sick as I thought? (I don't even know what I have - I have symptoms of a few different things and my kids have had a few different things recently too).

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 11:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2013 in Health

• What made you notice the fever? Our bodies do go through a natural state of ups and downs in temp. However, if you continually notice it at that time, I would definitely consult a physician. I've noticed that if my BP is going to go up, it's usually in the evenings. I have no idea why.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• First of all treat the fever if you can't sleep.
    And yes... it's time to see the doc if you have a fever that "breaks" and returns. Let the Doc make the diagnosis.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• My older doctor used to say "when the sun goes down your fever goes up" It's a natural sort of event but, even so, I agree that you should see your doctor. I would chart when your fever starts climbing.....take it in the morning, at lunch and then mid afternoon.

I will tell you that I had this very issue several years ago. My sed rate was up but they never did definitively figure out what it was. Just a virus/infection that my body was fighting on its own. It resolved in a couple of weeks, if I recall correctly
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• 600mg of tylenol
    lullaby572

Answer by lullaby572 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I noticed because I've been taking my temp multiple times a day anyway, same with my kids, since we've all been fighting stuff. Also I would just start getting warmer - uncomfortably warm, after being freeeeezing cold for 1-3 hours.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Feb. 3, 2013

• How, pray tell, does one take 600 mg of Tylenol? It comes in 500 mg increments.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2013