Do you take sleep medication?

If not and you have difficulty sleeping, what do you do? I'm trying not to, but I can's shut my brain off at night. What about you?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 11:57 AM on Feb. 3, 2013 in Health

• No. I have trouble sleeping, but I am more worried about something happening while I'm asleep and me sleeping through it. I used to have a white noise machine and it helped me sleep much better. Then something bad happened and I slept through it, and I haven't used it since.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• never have taken a sleep aid just for sleep
    if i have some nights that my brain will not shut off, i try to fix daytime issues, so nighttime does not suffer

when i have had some pain and going to bed, i have taken an over the counter pain reliever with a sleep aid- so i guess i have in that way
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I drink Sleepy Time Tea or some other decaf tea. I also have some Valerian root that I take that helps with my anxiety and makes me drowsy. Or I play my PS3 or read a good book. Yeah, I have lots of trouble sleeping at night and what works 1 night won't necessarily work the next so I have many different options that I do. Another one that I do is make a mental list of what I need to do the next day. Some nights I have to use all of the above before I finally fall asleep.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Only out of pure desperation, because it doesn't always help - and then I'm so groggy the next day it's not worth it. I've tried various sleep teas, but then a full bladder just wakes me up sooner ;o). So far what works best for me is the aromatherapy stuff from Bath & Body works - DH will massage the sleep lotion into me, and if I can relax enough and he can keep massaging my shoulders/scalp long enough he'll usually either get me close to sleeping or I will fall asleep. I also downloaded a white noise app on my Kindle and that's been helping a little bit. If you have an iPhone, a friend of mine was just telling me about a sleep app she found recently - I'd have to ask her again what the name is though.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I take Unisom sometimes.

Answer by louise2 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2013