Becoming a foster parent

Has anyone become a foster parent while having other children in their house? I am a single mother of one child. My dd will be 4 and I would love to foster a child and eventually adopt another child similar in age so she will have someone always even if it's not a bio sibling at least maybe I adopt a child they will always have a close friend. I looked up some information but I am nervous to do it because I know those in foster care can come from very difficult backgrounds. Any information about would be appreciated. Thanks.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 11:59 AM on Feb. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• I looked into become a foster parent once but it was before I had my son. I would love to do it now or sometime in the future but I know that it is something that my husband doesn't want to do. I would look into the training program and even sign up for it. I am sure the training program will answer a lot of your questions. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Yes there is a orientation for it. I always wanted to do this even before my dd was born. I know it takes alot of patience and alot of training because you have to be the right type of person to do this.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• If you don't want to be a full on foster parent you can look into respite foster caring. You basically get a child when another family needs a break, or they come to you until they are placed elsewhere. Just a thought. I know someone who is a respite foster care giver and she also has custody of her 4 grandchildren that she was fostering for 3 years. She now has legal guardianship of them. Also be careful, in some states a foster child can't sleep over at a friends, catch a ride home with a friend or go hang out unless they are with you. It can be a very daunting task.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• goodluck
    notasha.taggart

Answer by notasha.taggart at 11:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Thank you for all the information. I will look into it and maybe when my dd is older it will be something something I will be able to do.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2013