Becoming a foster parent

Has anyone become a foster parent while having other children in their house? I am a single mother of one child. My dd will be 4 and I would love to foster a child and eventually adopt another child similar in age so she will have someone always even if it's not a bio sibling at least maybe I adopt a child they will always have a close friend. I looked up some information but I am nervous to do it because I know those in foster care can come from very difficult backgrounds. Any information about would be appreciated. Thanks.

Asked by lambdarose at 11:59 AM on Feb. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• I looked into become a foster parent once but it was before I had my son. I would love to do it now or sometime in the future but I know that it is something that my husband doesn't want to do. I would look into the training program and even sign up for it. I am sure the training program will answer a lot of your questions. 

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Yes there is a orientation for it. I always wanted to do this even before my dd was born. I know it takes alot of patience and alot of training because you have to be the right type of person to do this.

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• If you don't want to be a full on foster parent you can look into respite foster caring. You basically get a child when another family needs a break, or they come to you until they are placed elsewhere. Just a thought. I know someone who is a respite foster care giver and she also has custody of her 4 grandchildren that she was fostering for 3 years. She now has legal guardianship of them. Also be careful, in some states a foster child can't sleep over at a friends, catch a ride home with a friend or go hang out unless they are with you. It can be a very daunting task.

Answer by coala at 10:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• goodluck

Answer by notasha.taggart at 11:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Thank you for all the information. I will look into it and maybe when my dd is older it will be something something I will be able to do.

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2013