LIVING A NIGHTMARE!! vent, advice

We lost our jobs, got evicted. Had to move cheap. A friend referred us to a landlord, who sold us a house land contract, dirt cheap. Our fridge, that we hadnt used in 8 months, doesnt work. Our electric stove isnt compatible in this kitchen. But, heres our real nightmare, this place is infested with bedbugs. Spent tjhe money on painting and flooring on bombs, to no avail.
So we are living, sequestered to these 3 little bedrooms and bathroom, which we can keep bugfree. Im sensitive to the bugspray, living on benedryl. when we get our tax refund 2/13, we are getting out of here. its 13 degrees out and roasting in here, my 2 kids are running in our little area, we call it our jail, in their underroos. we have no thermostat, had to bypass it to make furnac work. we are freeerzing our food in the yards, cooking with a microwave. its hard to believe this is our life. we were making 70k a year a year ago. now this is our life....
any words of encouragement? we kwwp twlling each other that one day we will look back at this and laugh. right now i want to cry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• Sounds like the David Bowie song.

I'm sorry things are rough. And they do sound really rough!
    We've had a series of things go wrong & the timing has been tough for multiple reasons, but I notice that it still feels like life is good or that I'm having "good" weeks. I think this is because my feelings are flowing (rather than blocked up) and I am accepting of them (rather than "shoulding" myself about how I should/shouldn't feel), and so they move & change. It makes a difference.
    My situation is not as dire as yours by a long shot (just things like a frozen pipe that eventually burst, phone service that stopped working Friday night & the "service ticket" from the phone company says the earliest they can send a technician is this Friday!, a daylong power outage, our dryer making loud banging noises....) but it has felt daunting to us. I find that staying present & responsive really does "make" the experience.
    Hang on!!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• In the other rooms that have the bugs, can you open those windows? If it's really cold outside I think that can kill them. Maybe spray around the doorways of the rooms that you are staying in just so they don't scatter in. Just a thought :( Hugs to you & I'll say a prayer that everything works out for you.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Hang in there.... ;o)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Just hang in till you get the money to leave. Best of luck and hugs.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 1:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• can the board of health help?? have you reported the landlord? can you use legal aid to break the contract if the house is infested therefore unlivable?

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I'm so sorry you are going thru this. Is there anyone you can borrow money from since you already know how much $$$ you will be getting? Do you have a slow cooker? That would give you alternatives to cooking. Maybe do some research on heating to see if you can get your thermostat fixed. Try to make the most of this. Use this time to become closer. Play board games, read books, talk about the future. Yes, one day you will look back, laugh and realize how much stronger you have become due to this. Chin up.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:56 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I love my crock pot and use it quite a bit. Mine came with a cookbook and I have used some of the recipes in it, which are quite good. I love to throw a roast or something in it, some liquid, seasoning and veggies. Then let it cook all night and all day. The possibilities are endless and you can find so many recipes online. I'm glad the kids think it's a cool adventure and that you are closer as a family.
    You should definitely keep coming here for comedy. Some days it's all that keeps me going and my situation isn't nearly as bad as yours.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 1:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Just make sure you do not carry the bugs to the new place. Hugs!
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• i can break the contract, and i am without legal recourse., since its land contract not renting he has no obligation to do anything. and i cant find him anyway!! just trying to save every cent and bide my time, 10 days and we are out of here. if i had friends or family around here, we'd stay somewhere else. we're not from this state, though. trying to make the best of things. our one son doesnt wanyt to move, believe that! so we have managed to keep a positive spin on this forr the kids, they are fed, warm, bug-bite free; its all we can do. we are trying. but it truly is a nightmare!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2013