S/O About High School

My high school was founded in 1958.
It was named Robert E. Lee high school and our banner was the Confederate flag.

In the late 80's the flag was deemed not PC and modified to current social norms.

The school is now considered :

North East School of the Arts (NESA)
International School of the Americas (ISA)
Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)

What changes has your Alma Mater undergone?

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 7:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2013 in

• None to my knowledge. School was named after the township it's located in and the mascot is a Ram....nothing particularly offensive about either
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• well i went to 2 high schools. the one i graduated from is named after an Alaskan poet and was built in the 70s...no changes that i know of. the other is on a military base & named after the base so no changes there either.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• My high school was/is a private school. I am not sure about all the changes over time (I know at some point awhile back they went from a dress code to uniforms) but they did change the mascot sometime in the first few years after I graduated. That was surprising & unsettling. (The change itself was, I mean.)

They went from a fairly distinctive one (a Helmsman, the sports teams were known as "the Helmsmen" and awkwardly--"the Lady Helmsmen") to a more generic mascot animal. Whatever your feelings/opinion about being "the Helmsmen," it seemed like a big deal to actually change something like that. At this point, though, it's been a lot of years.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:57 AM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I think it was built in 1890s, but it was an agricultural college. Since then the name has changed 4 or 5 times. It has been destroyed by fires 4 times and rebuilt each time. Not sure when it became a high school, but it's current name was the first principal of the high school, and it was named that in 1939.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• The name of the street it's on changed, and the name of the neighborhood it's in changed. That's all.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• None. My high school was named after the town it was in. We had the lamest mascot ever.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Not much has changed since it opened in 1955. Some renovations and additions and that's about it. Same old jock school, same old rich snotty, people at least as far as I know.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Last I heard, the school stopped letting the kids have off campus lunch. Other than that, it's the same building, looks the same as it did when I graduated 20 years ago. Principal is the same too.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Established in the 1800s - we just built a new building, that was finished in 2011. I worked there for the last 12 years. The biggest change is the addition of all current technology!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• None that I know of.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2013