S/O About High School

My high school was founded in 1958.
It was named Robert E. Lee high school and our banner was the Confederate flag.

In the late 80's the flag was deemed not PC and modified to current social norms.

The school is now considered :

North East School of the Arts (NESA)
International School of the Americas (ISA)
Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)

What changes has your Alma Mater undergone?

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 7:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2013 in

• I think it was built in 1890s, but it was an agricultural college. Since then the name has changed 4 or 5 times. It has been destroyed by fires 4 times and rebuilt each time. Not sure when it became a high school, but it's current name was the first principal of the high school, and it was named that in 1939.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• My high school was/is a private school. I am not sure about all the changes over time (I know at some point awhile back they went from a dress code to uniforms) but they did change the mascot sometime in the first few years after I graduated. That was surprising & unsettling. (The change itself was, I mean.)

They went from a fairly distinctive one (a Helmsman, the sports teams were known as "the Helmsmen" and awkwardly--"the Lady Helmsmen") to a more generic mascot animal. Whatever your feelings/opinion about being "the Helmsmen," it seemed like a big deal to actually change something like that. At this point, though, it's been a lot of years.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:57 AM on Feb. 4, 2013

• well i went to 2 high schools. the one i graduated from is named after an Alaskan poet and was built in the 70s...no changes that i know of. the other is on a military base & named after the base so no changes there either.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2013