Hmmm, that's cheating ...

At the grocery store last night, I stood in the checkout line with a high school student who had one of those lifelike dolls that's supposed to teach teenagers about parenting newborns. The doll cries realistically every so often, day or night, and the student has to take care of its "needs" for food, clean diapers, or rocking and soothing. The cry has to be responded to within a certain amount of time, as recorded by the computer inside the doll that senses motion. The computer also records any shakes or sudden jolts the doll experiences. Pretty high tech, since the girls who took the parenting class when I was in high school just had to carry around raw eggs. So I was thinking the doll would be a fairlygood teaching tool. Then the thing started crying as the caregiving student got to the cash register. She looked at the little readout screen on the doll and said, "Oh good. He just wants to be held right now. No diapers."

I told her, "Hey, that's cheating. Babies don't come with screens that tell you what they want. They just keep screaming till you figure it out."

Did any of you take a high school class on parenting or child development that involved carrying around a doll?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 7:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2013 in Just for Fun

• the high school girls around here that i have seen with those
    no screen to show what the scream was

i asked the girls about it
    they keep it for 24 hours and it crys in the middle of night
    some cry more, some less, no one knows who gets the cranky babies- it is roll of dice (or computer chip)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I didn't take those classes. My friend had one that had to get the teacher's key because it wouldn't shut up no matter what you did.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I did not! A screen really?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I never took classes like that, but I saw those dolls when they were more low-tech. They cried, but there was no readout. And yes, that would be cheating.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Nope we had to carry around sacks of flour, but I babysat so I knew I didn't want any kids for a while.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I never had one, but our school did have that class. They had some kind of key, I think, that you had to use. No screen.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• My niece had one in hs, but it didn't have a screen telling her what's wrong
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Nope DD did. Darn thing malfunctioned during a science fair. Teacher assgned it to her knowing it was science olympiad and would not reschedule it. So while she was in her event the doll was on a table, the sturdy wooden library kind. No one came near it or touched the table. Stupid thing cried that stupid one that says you shook it. This went on off and on throughout the day. Teacher told DD she failed and she should have gotten someone more responsible to "sit" her child. I came up and took the doll, DD, and the teacher to the principal and set the thing on the table and waited and sure enough some one "shook" it.
    Gav it to the teacher and asked her to put the baby on the table and sure enough. Even still the twit only passed her with a c/
    no screens. I hate those things.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• We had sacks of flour and eggs in middle. In hs we were the first school in our county to get the dolls, I put t in my closet and ignored it loo
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• My oldest did. I remember we were shopping in St. Louis and had to take the damn doll with us. Ya think that would have taught her, right?! Hell No!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2013