What do you spend on your toddlers birthday?

My son will be two this month. And I am a big believer in kids not needing a whole bunch of gifts and material items on birthdays/holidays.

Plus I am a little low on money, but I have made a plan to take him and his little brother to a Cosi (Iron-Man will be there on his birthday - which he loves the REAL movie :/) ! But even though I am his mom and know all the things he loves to do, I sometimes worry that maybe he won't like it.. I will only be able to get just a couple gifts if I do this.. (Plus his favorite car Lightening McQueen cupcakes, a bunch of balloons filled with helium in the room when he wakes up that morning, and I am letting him take his own Birthday Club Card to ToysRUs to pick his own toy...)

My second idea was just get him a few more presents, the cake, balloons, and ToysRUs..

My thing is I can't decide if he'd rather spend the day out of town playing at Cosi or getting more presents...

What would you do or have you been in this position? I feel no matter which way I turn it is wrong...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Truly, he won't remember the day out, I don't think but he might play with his toys for a few years. At that age, presents, cake and a lot of fawning over the birthday boy is all that is needed. I think we got him a cupcake piled with frosting, presents and streamers, balloons to make a "big" deal out of it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• Yeah I thought about that too. I guess one of my big deals was I kind of just wanted to spend the day with him and his brother and not be stuck in this house full of people because we don't get along at all (I recently moved back in with parents, hopefully be back out by Summer!)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2013

• I guess second option would be better. Cake, balloons , 1 or 2 new and his favourite toys as well as all those things to eat which your son likes the most. Also I would suggest to go to either walmart or target which have generally all the toys as toysrus and will be cheaper too.
    newmommy121211

Answer by newmommy121211 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I'm only taking him to ToysRUs because he has a gift card, a Birthday Club discount, and he gets their birthday balloon free..lol. Other wise I'd go to Meijer :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2013