Can someone tell me how to 'sear' a roast?

I've cooked lots of roasts, but I've never done this. It seems like you have to learn a new language to understand all the cooking terms. Can someone give me the basic?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 11:23 AM on Feb. 4, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Pretty much what every one here has already said. Salt and pepper all sides, add oil (I use olive oil) get the pan hot put the meat in (it may splatter be careful) then when ot releases on its own flip it until all sides are seared

Searing the meat helps lock in all the juices so your meat is not dry. Never ever cut into your meat without giving it at LEAST 5 minutes to just sit on the cutting board (10 minutes is best) This allows all the juices to redistribute through out Any cut of meat be it chicken, steak, burgers, pork chops etc.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Brown it on all sides in a very hot deep pot with some oil in it.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:25 AM on Feb. 4, 2013

• One thing to add... don't flip it til it releases easily from the pan. If it doesn't come up easily, it's not ready to turn.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2013

• yes, sear means heat to brown on all sides

done so juices dont escape while cooking
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I put a bit of olive oil in a skillet, and brown on all sides for about 3 minutes each, then put in crock pot, or oven, it helps to keep the roast juicy!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:26 AM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Heat a dutch oven, or any skillet on high heat. Then I rub olive oil all over it, and then,I liberally put salt, pepper, and some garlic powder all over the roast. Then put it in the pan, and sear it on all sides evenly by just turning it every few minutes. Then I take the roast out of the dutch over (that's what I use), and pour about 3 cups of beef stock in the pan, remove all of the stuff off the bottom of the pan, and leave it all in the pot. I then add carrots, and onions, you can use celery, but we don't like it, then put the roast back in, and out in the oven..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Heat cast iron Dutch oven with olive oil mixed with veg or canola oil salt and pepper the roast. Use tongs to place roast in pan, set timer for 3-5 minutes on each side. Then add vegetables roast in oven until done.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• *put* it in the oven....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:50 AM on Feb. 4, 2013

• you could also goggle it... it's quite a basic cooking skill
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2013