Should we always excuse abuse if it falls under "religion"?

This story is so disturbing, because it assumes that women are always to blame for men's inability to control their behaviors.  A cleric in Saudi Arabia has issued a fatwa demanding that even infant girls wear burkas so that they aren't victims of sexual molestation. 

Get that? 

Babies. 

It's bad enough that they demand that girls wear burkas once they reach puberty.  It's bad enough that women are considered minors in that extreme version of Islam.  But to suggest that baby girls must be covered from head to toe so that Muslim men aren't tempted to rape them?  That's a sign that there's something terribly wrong with the men in that culture, and I'd suggest that it's their religion that corrupts them.

Here's the article.

My question is, then, in line with similar ones I've asked before.  How much do we excuse in the name of religion?  Isn't it clear that women and girls are not given any choice in these situations?  Is that acceptable because it's what their religion decrees?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 12:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I think, if those men have that little self-control, then it's time to start punishing them for it. The idea that someone would find a baby sexually attractive and act on it is just disgusting. And the idea that someone would, instead of saying "That's disgusting, and you're one sick bastard for feeling that way", but decide that the innocent baby should be covered up because she's so obviously tempting him is disgusting as well.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I think it speaks volumes about those who want to push this. I would think its their sexual desires that should be questioned, not all followers of Islam. IMO anyone who says a infant can tempt men struggle with pedifile desires themselves and should not be able to be a leader of their religion.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 1:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I think we've allowed too many abuses in the world by saying that it's not our business.

You do realise that what you are is proposing war with another country(s) because they do not do or believe as we do?
    Who should decide what is right for the people of a given country or city?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• We should never allow religion to excuse abuse.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• i dont think its the religion, those men can say its all in the name of religion, but its not. its the country, a political statement (that women are scum) disguised as religious (cause Allah says so). and i think we should respond with a political statement in kind like sanctions, but since they have the oil thats not gonna happen any time soon. if it was the religion we'd see the same outlandish rules in Irag, Iran, etc.

and what happens to the men who molest little boys? is it the little boys fault, or do they deem that homosexuality on the man's part? either way why do those men have to control themselves yet non-pedo men do not? the men creating these rules are idiots.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• When I said Islam has made everything very clear --- means there is no need for them to continue coming up with fatwas.
    They do this all the time over issues but most of the fatwas never get anywhere cause there is a committee who has to approve fatwas and this has no reason to be issued.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• This article is based on one cleric. He hardly represents an entire religious community. I'm no fan of Saudi Arabia for many reasons however one persons opinion doesn't deserve this much focus in the news.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• can't control their urges? Why don't the men of Islam pray for better self-control, rather than try to control every aspect of women's lives

turn this around. Wdonn't you american people have more self control and stop trying to control every aspect of another people's live.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I think that is very extreme. But what could be done about it?
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 12:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I believe the problem does lie within the culture itself. Remember that it's the culture that invents the religion & then uses it as an excuse for their own drives & behaviors.

Of course it's not acceptable but, so many things they already do are not acceptable. Other than a complete revolution, I don't see how it will change. Just like there can never be world peace as long as competing religions exist.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2013