Are you ever literally afraid to open up expired food that was in your fridge?

sometimes, when things are 'just passed' or near the expiration date, i will open them up and see if they're still okay. but then there are things that get shoved to the back of the fridge & forgotten for a while.

today it was the sour cream. we aren't big sour cream eaters, i only bought it for a recipe. well ive been noticing it back there but keep forgetting to take it out & toss it. today though i finally decided to, and i looked at the expiration date... jan 1st! im like, there's no way in hell i want to know what it looks/smells like now.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Sometimes salad dressings, steak sauces, things like that go bad but with 2 teenage boys in the house, very little else even has a chance of getting near expiration!

Answer by missanc at 12:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• EWW! There are times that I am afraid to open up containers in my fridge, but mostly because I don't have real tupperware so I use the empty containers of cottage cheese or sour cream and sometimes I forget what's in them. My biggest scare is opening my SO's fridge every other weekend. Sometimes I'm just amazed at what he has left in there. For sure a bachelor pad.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• The last time I cleaned the fridge, I found a Ziploc with part of a package of cream cheese in it that had fallen between the back wall of the fridge and the bottom shelf, along with the same thing on the door of my fridge. One I knew was old, the other I knew was new. Both got tossed. There just wasn't enough in either package to make it worth the risk of opening up to see which was which.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• It's happened but it's been a while. If I'm ever TOO scared I just throw the whole thing out without even looking lol.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I'm a little wary of checking the status of that partially-eaten jar of applesauce I noticed at the back of the fridge, but for fear, something has to be opened and at room temperature for an extended time, like when I forget to empty my daughter's lunch bag until the last day of Christmas vacation.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Generally no. If I am concerned I pitch it. I pretty well know how long something has been in there, even if I have forgotten about it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Yes. I will throw out the whole container. I don't even make an attempt to wash them.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I routinely go thru the fridge and throw everything out... just make a clean sweep. I hate icky leftovers...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• i throw out a lot of plastic containers without opening them...cause they're clear and i can see what's going on in it...yuck!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2013