Breastfeeding and pot

So one of my sisters friends had a baby around the same time I did [6 months ago] and the baby is well lets just say....DIFFICULTt. She hasnt slept in a few days [really has only slept 3 hours in 5 days!!!!] and someone recommended smoking a very little amount of pot to help her doze off after shes fed the baby. I understand where shes coming from but how will the pot affect her baby!??! Is it going to wear off before the next feeding?!?! Please help so I can let her know before she does something stupid!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It probably wont affect the baby at all. Pot doesn't metabolize the same way alcohol or amphetamines would.

T
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 11:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• ..it cut me off.

That is not to say she should do it, but it wont help the baby sleep and it wont hurt her either.
    MommyHess

• Yeah, turning to drugs always makes everything better. Come on now. Be real. If the baby is the reason for sleep deprivation right now, whats wrong with baby sitting for a while so your sister can rest ? Get a few bottles of breast milk from her and babysit while she sleeps.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 11:30 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• No, it won't wear off before the next feeding and yes, small amounts will end up in the breast milk. There have been no conclusive studies however that have shown it to effect the baby in any way. However, that doesn't mean it won't. To be safe, I'd suggest she skip the pot. She should talk to her doctor about medication if she needs it that badly.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• eye rollingPot, the drug that cures everything!  Whatever.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Instead of her using pot just get her to take a Tylenol PM..I took one while I was breastfeeding and OMG, my son slept so good. I was like "What the hell? Why is he sleeping so good?" Then I remembered..lol. I didn't even think about if passing through the breast milk..Anyway, Tell her not to make this a habit at all but every once in a while will help. Plus, if you take pm pills all the time they will not work as good. Tell her to take one at night, not every night though.
    Anonymous

• Go ahead and let her smoke the pot.

Then call CPS.
    Anonymous

• Personally I don't think it's a good idea to smoke anything around your kids. Call me a goody goody but it's illegal to smoke pot. Yeah, I know everyone does it but you got a kid in the house. Bad idea. Second... you got the second hand smoke which poses a health issue for the babies lungs. The baby didn't ask to be difficult, he/she doesn't deserve to be exposed to that. Third, why would you want to take care of a baby when you are impaired. Is that really going to help the situation? So many things can happen. Fourth, is this a habit you want to get into? The kid is sixth months old. You got 18 years is this.. Just don't do it. Tell your friend or cousin or whatever to call her doctor and see what she can get as a prescription . Or maybe you can babysit or somthing for her.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Very stupid idea... try a little formula to try and get the baby to sleep.. they have to work a lot harder when they are eating it so it helps knock em out
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• No pot, no formula.. Maybe instead she should take her baby to the doctor? Something could be wrong if it's having such a hard time sleeping.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 4:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2009