In a (mildly) related story . . .

Abstain, young ladies. Just say "No". Boys will be boys. It is up to us, with our gentle, moral ways, to lead by example and tame the corrupt, wild beasts that naturally reside within the male gender (but not within the female gender, of course). Slip into your chastity belts, refrain from immoral words, thoughts and deeds, and the boys will follow your example, just as they have since Biblical times.

At least, this seems to be the message from the Queen of Peace High School officials in New Jersey.

Why the double-standard? 

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 1:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Lol, it is a double standard and quite outdated.

I don't have any girls yet but I have 5 boys. I teach them that girls different and special (not that boys aren't special, my oldest is 11) but that girls grow up to carry the babies. I teach them to open doors for people and that moms can work and take care of them and clean the house and they can help. Dads can do this, too, but it works best when moms and dads are together and splitting up the load. I said all that to say this: I hope my boys carry this into their teen years and respect girls and not just look at them as objects. The behavior to do either/or is learned.

Girls do have to protect themselves! No one else is going to. If they are mindful of the consequences of their decisions (BC isn't guaranteed, and I'm pro-life) then they can save themselves much heartache and struggle. If you demand respect from a boyfriend then he has no choice but to oblige or leave.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I think both are responsible for their own bodies and the consequences of their actions. However lets face it young girls face most of the responsibility of dealing with an unplanned pregnancy. STD's on the other hand are gender blind.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I wonder when we will begin to have higher expectations of our boys, as a society. And start respecting the girls enough to show that there is no double standard.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I'm afraid that my lead-up to the story was misleading. I had hoped that everyone would read the story before commenting.  The article is about how the school is discouraging girls from swearing, but not discouraging the behavior in boys.  I extrapolated from that, looking at examples in our society and others where there is gender inequality.  Women are often blamed for rape, and so the burden of rape prevention falls on women alone (as in my previous post where an Islamic cleric wants to issue a fatwa that demands that girls from infancy wear burkas to prevent sexual abuse).  In the Catholic school where this story takes place, the burden is on the girls to "act like ladies", rather than asking all students to be respectful and refrain from swearing.  It's a double standard, again.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Funnily enough there's nothing "Biblical" (at least in the OT) about chastity belts. In fact, premarital sex isn't really condemned, even if not ideal. Where did Christianity got such disgust for sex is beyond me...
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• As for the double standard thing... Again, beyond me.in Leviticus rape is a crime and the only guilty party is the one doing the enforcing- usually the guy, of course.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2013