In a (mildly) related story . . .

Abstain, young ladies. Just say "No". Boys will be boys. It is up to us, with our gentle, moral ways, to lead by example and tame the corrupt, wild beasts that naturally reside within the male gender (but not within the female gender, of course). Slip into your chastity belts, refrain from immoral words, thoughts and deeds, and the boys will follow your example, just as they have since Biblical times.

At least, this seems to be the message from the Queen of Peace High School officials in New Jersey.

Why the double-standard? 

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 1:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2013 in Religious Debate

• As for the double standard thing... Again, beyond me.in Leviticus rape is a crime and the only guilty party is the one doing the enforcing- usually the guy, of course.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Funnily enough there's nothing "Biblical" (at least in the OT) about chastity belts. In fact, premarital sex isn't really condemned, even if not ideal. Where did Christianity got such disgust for sex is beyond me...
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I'm afraid that my lead-up to the story was misleading. I had hoped that everyone would read the story before commenting.  The article is about how the school is discouraging girls from swearing, but not discouraging the behavior in boys.  I extrapolated from that, looking at examples in our society and others where there is gender inequality.  Women are often blamed for rape, and so the burden of rape prevention falls on women alone (as in my previous post where an Islamic cleric wants to issue a fatwa that demands that girls from infancy wear burkas to prevent sexual abuse).  In the Catholic school where this story takes place, the burden is on the girls to "act like ladies", rather than asking all students to be respectful and refrain from swearing.  It's a double standard, again.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I wonder when we will begin to have higher expectations of our boys, as a society. And start respecting the girls enough to show that there is no double standard.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I think both are responsible for their own bodies and the consequences of their actions. However lets face it young girls face most of the responsibility of dealing with an unplanned pregnancy. STD's on the other hand are gender blind.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Lol, it is a double standard and quite outdated.

I don't have any girls yet but I have 5 boys. I teach them that girls different and special (not that boys aren't special, my oldest is 11) but that girls grow up to carry the babies. I teach them to open doors for people and that moms can work and take care of them and clean the house and they can help. Dads can do this, too, but it works best when moms and dads are together and splitting up the load. I said all that to say this: I hope my boys carry this into their teen years and respect girls and not just look at them as objects. The behavior to do either/or is learned.

Girls do have to protect themselves! No one else is going to. If they are mindful of the consequences of their decisions (BC isn't guaranteed, and I'm pro-life) then they can save themselves much heartache and struggle. If you demand respect from a boyfriend then he has no choice but to oblige or leave.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Because it's totally the woman/girl's fault when she get's raped.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• the private Christian college i went to locked up the freshmen girls (freshmen had curfew) but not the boys...they ran free even after curfew (that was suppose to be for all freshmen). we always assumed they only cared if their girls got pregnant, not if the boys impregnated girls from other schools (cause you can only have sex after midnight haha).

ignorant thinking like this has been going on for centuries...and has it worked? no all it did was make men who viewed women as inferior beings that deserve no rights, no freedoms, are sexually repressed, and for many gave them the impression that we are lesser beings. its sad that this kinda thinking is still being served up...but at least its mostly religious institutions that push it unashamedly.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• We have the power over sex?

What does that have to do with it?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I followed the link to the full story. I didn't get what you got out of it though I thought it was sexist asking the young women to refrain while not requesting it from the boys
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 1:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2013