How To Tell If Your Religious Liberty Is Being Repressed

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/how-tell-if-your-religious-liberty-be

Rev. Emily C. Heath is a United Church of Christ minister, and she wrote something that may be useful for our friends across the aisle: A quiz to help them decide if they're being repressed!

I'm a religious person with a lifelong passion for civil rights, so this is of great interest to me. So much so, that I believe we all need to determine whether our religious liberties are indeed at risk. So, as a public service, I've come up with this little quiz. I call it "How to Determine if Your Religious Liberty Is Being Threatened in Just 10 Quick Questions." Just pick "A" or "B" for each question.

1. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) I am not allowed to go to a religious service of my own choosing.
B) Others are allowed to go to religious services of their own choosing.

2. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) I am not allowed to marry the person I love legally, even though my religious community blesses my marriage.
B) Some states refuse to enforce my own particular religious beliefs on marriage on those two guys in line down at the courthouse.

3. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) I am being forced to use birth control.
B) I am unable to force others to not use birth control.

4. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) I am not allowed to pray privately.
B) I am not allowed to force others to pray the prayers of my faith publicly.

5. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) Being a member of my faith means that I can be bullied without legal recourse.
B) I am no longer allowed to use my faith to bully gay kids with impunity.

6. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) I am not allowed to purchase, read or possess religious books or material.
B) Others are allowed to have access books, movies and websites that I do not like.

7. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) My religious group is not allowed equal protection under the establishment clause.
B) My religious group is not allowed to use public funds, buildings and resources as we would like, for whatever purposes we might like.

8. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) Another religious group has been declared the official faith of my country.
B) My own religious group is not given status as the official faith of my country.

9. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) My religious community is not allowed to build a house of worship in my community.
B) A religious community I do not like wants to build a house of worship in my community.

10. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) I am not allowed to teach my children the creation stories of our faith at home.
B) Public school science classes are teaching science.

Scoring key:

If you answered "A" to any question, then perhaps your religious liberty is indeed at stake. You and your faith group have every right to now advocate for equal protection under the law. But just remember this one little, constitutional, concept: this means you can fight for your equality -- not your superiority.

If you answered "B" to any question, then not only is your religious liberty not at stake, but there is a strong chance that you are oppressing the religious liberties of others. This is the point where I would invite you to refer back to the tenets of your faith, especially the ones about your neighbors.

3libras

Asked by 3libras at 1:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2013 in Religious Debate

• "To be forced to read a book and take a test on evolution when you don't believe in it is hard. "

i was in that boat in school & its not hard. you choose the right answer, even tho you dont believe it, & you move on. shoot i wrote a paper denying evolution in my science class, using the Bible as my proof, and got the grade i deserved (a B). & that teacher was an Atheist asshole that publicly humiliated me every day for being a Christian. its NOT hard.

religious liberty does not include not being upset by others choices.
    religious liberty does not allow you to make all the rules for everyone.
    religious liberty does not include never having to explain tough things to your kids.
    religious liberty does not mean your religion is going to be treated like its the only real one.

you get called intolerant, while a gay kid gets beat up and told "well we cant punish the bully cause its his religious views". oh yeah, poor you.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Problem with the quiz:

Talk about missing the point
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Except that your religious liberty is not at risk because you have other education options outside of public school. If you wish you teach your children Biblical literalism, you could home school them or send them to private school.

All children are entitled to a well rounded education that provides strong scientific knowledge.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• The point as I see it is that someone's religion is always being oppressed or put down by one side or the other. If you don't believe in gay marriage you either deny your faith or you are intolerant

No, if you don't believe in gay marriage, don't marry a woman. That's the sum total of all the input you have into it. You do not have the RIGHT to tell anyone else they cannot get married for any reason.

That's the point you are missing here - believe whatever you want to believe, but don't for a second dare apply that belief to anyone else, that is where you are infringing on someone else's rights.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• why you think its wrong for kids to learn science in science class.

And to answer the tests in accordance with the scientific principle that they were taught in science class. It doesn't mean they have to believe it. Simply answer it according to what has been taught in the class. Shit most of the questions start out "The theory of ..............teaches that.............. or the Scientific law of ................... says that.................
    and then you simply answer in accordance to what that theory or principle says.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• To be forced to read a book and take a test on evolution when you don't believe in it is hard. 

its alot simpler than you think. i was an avid believer when i was in school. i refused to write a paper on evolution because it conflicted with my (then) idea about god. my mom had to come and talk to my teacher. yes... i was that close minded. 

evolution is a scientific theory. it means nothing more than life changes. would you prefer our children being taught something based on pure speculation?

your religious liberty is protected here because your child's muslim, wiccan, atheist, etc teacher isn't allowed to teach them their beliefs as fact.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I'm so very very very tired of the "evolution is only a theory" argument. Truly. I've been fighting this battle for years and years and it NEVER ends.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• There is no such thing as absolute fact in the scientific community. Science is ever evolving, constantly testing and retesting, replacing or modifying theories as new knowledge is discovered. The theory of evolution has stood the test of time because nothing, up to this point, has been discovered that would bump the theory out. All testing continues to support the hypothesis.

"You believe your great, great, etc grandparents jumped out of the ocean, became a ape to eventually become you. Hmmm....LOVE to see your family pictures."

So much for rational argument.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• By your own it's still a THEORY and not fact by the belief of scientists

Nothing makes me sadder than stupid people who don't know the definition of theory and use it interchangeably with the word hypothesis.

A scientific theory is a COLLECTION OF FACTS...like gravity, and radioactive decay.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• "In other words you ladies are just as you accuse me of being. You might try looking in the mirror sometime because I think you would see who the judgemental person is."

im not judging your belief that God created the world in 6 literal 24 hour days or that the world is only 6000 years old. i disagree but you have every right to believe that. what i am questioning is why you think its wrong for kids to learn science in science class.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2013